Monday, 9 January 2012

Bak Kut Teh @ Shoon Huat Bak Kut Teh 顺发肉骨茶 in Taman Sentosa, Johor Bahru

Shoon Huat bak kut teh 顺发肉骨茶 in Taman Sentosa is an established favourite among locals and Singaporeans. Shoon Huat's sign board says the business was founded in 1975.

Shoon Huat is one of over twenty 顺发 franchisees with English translation of written in various ways such as Soon Huat, Soong Huat, and so on.

Shoon Huat’s style of bak kut teh has pieces of ribs and meat served in steaming clear tasty soup with button mushrooms. It doesn’t have the "medical hall" aroma of herbs, the peppery taste nor the dark gravy that we find in the other styles.

At Shoon Huat, the meat is a little firmer than the others that I have eaten. The meat sticks to the bone a little more tenaciously than that in other stalls. So much so that I had to leave some meat on the bone uneaten despite my best efforts.

(There is no need to talk about those button mushrooms ;P )

But there is one thing about Shoon Huat bak kut teh that stood out. The soup is the tastiest and the most drinkable that I have ever experienced. The soup is clear, sweet, and only slightly salty. It has very little of that herbal or peppery flavour we find elsewhere.

Shoon Huat offers free flow of soup. When one of the staff made his rounds topping up customers’ soups, I found myself automatically asking for a top up even though I had already finished eating the meat. I couldn’t resist getting another helping of soup to drink.

A clay pot of bak kut teh for two at Shoon Huat costs RM16.

The soup alone is enough to bring me back to Shoon Huat.

Restaurant name: Shoon Huat Bak Kut Teh 顺发肉骨茶
Address: 236, Jalan Sutera 1, Taman Sentosa, 80150 Johor Bahru
GPS: 1.490861,103.767779
Hours: Daily
Non Halal

Date visited:  9 Jan 2012


  1. wow! we don't have such foods in Scandinavia! Looks like I have found the next summer vacation destination for my friends and I! Food in Malaysia looks so good on your blog! Got to try them!

  2. Thanks for the compliments and I am glad that my food photos are delicious enough for you to plan a trip to Malaysia ;P

    Johor is a fasinating cultural melting pot that generates a buzz and creativity in its culinary culture that is, in my humble opinion, still not fully recognised. Amazingly many of Johor's favourite eating places are still run by the same pioneers since they started business decades ago. I hope that my blog will help record Johor's culinary heritage and to spread the word about johor food.

  3. Really open 7days a week ?
    I wish to visit on Monday but I was told most BKT dun operate on Monday
    Can u please confirm ? thanks!!!


I firmly believe that taste is subjective and so, warmly welcome differing viewpoints :-D But, I disapprove negative comments that are anonymous or hide behind fake identities. I feel that that is the same as speaking ill of others behind their backs. I look forward to all your comments :-D Thank you. (Date: 18 Dec 2015)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...