Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

8108 炒小吃 Stall in Kedai Makanan Yenn Sang 源香 in Taman Perling, Johor Bahru, Malaysia


Stumbled upon this little zhe char stall 8108 炒小吃 in Yenn Sang 源香 kopitiam while trying to grab a quick lunch before an appointment in Taman Perling.


What first caught my attention was the bellowing smoke and the sizzling sound of food on a hot wok.


As I turned around and approached, I saw the chef playing with the wok over a stove that was spitting fire. I stopped to watch the chef as I am always fascinated by darting, licking flames, energetic toss frying and the drool triggering sound of sizzle.


Chef and I started a conversation. In the middle of tossing and frying, the chef told me that he and his wife had previously worked in the famous Sin Leong restaurant in Marine Parade, Singapore. After many years, they returned back to Johor Bahru and started 8108 炒小吃.
 

This is 8108's oil smeared menu held with Scotch tape onto the glass showcase. Hand written with marker pen on yellow vanguard sheet. It's all very casual, practical and unpretentious.


Well, when unsure about what to order, the best thing to do is to ask the chef himself. The chef suggested that I try his kam hiong chicken - the top item on his menu.


I gladly took the chef's recommendation and it was good, of course - it was the chef's personal recommendation after all :P


The fresh chicken chunks were fried in intense heat in savoury, tangy and sweet gravy. The outer layer of the chicken pieces were slightly caramelised by the wok hei (intense radiated heat) while the insides were still moist and juicy.

I wonder where else can I enjoy a delicious hot RM5.50 lunch of substantial portion that was well executed by a former restaurant chef.


This was someone else's sambal squids. I shall try this next time :)



Restuarant name: 8108 炒小吃 stall in Kedai Makanan Yenn Sang 源香
Address: Jalan Persisiran Perling 1, Taman Perling, Johor Bahru
Map: http://goo.gl/maps/KH19g
GPS: 1.481192, 103.684871
Hours: 8:00am to 4:00pm (off on Friday)
Non Halal

Date visited: 17 July 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published