Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Kek Lapis Sarawak at One Food and Cake House in Pandan City, Johor Bahru

Kek-Lapis-Sarawak-One-Food-and-Cake-House-Pandan-City-Johor-Bahru

Exactly one year ago, I was food hunting around the Pandan wholesale market area and stumbled upon One Food and Cake House. I wondered into the cake shop, and was fascinated by the frenetic activity inside. The workers were hurrying with Ramadan/ Hari Raya orders for Kek Lapis Sarawak and choc rolls. I have never seen Kek Lapis Sarawak before this and was immediately charmed by the "psychedelic" colours.

I was so thrilled by what I saw that I hung around the shop and waited for the boss Iszwandi to arrive. I wanted to ask Iszwandi for permission to photograph the cake making process. Fortunately, I did not wait in vain. Iszwandi graciously gave me permission to photograph his shop :)

A year has passed quickly. I was food hunting in Kulai recently when I heard a man called out to me, "Tony". It was Iszwandi and I am so sorry that I did not recognise him immediately. It's only now that I realised that it is the Ramadan/ Hari Raya season again. I again asked for permission to photograph Iszwandi's shop which he warmly welcome.

Unlike last year, One Food and Cake House now deals in only Kek Lapis Sarawak and choc rolls.

The Kek Lapis Sarawak retails at RM60 per box.

Kek-Lapis-Sarawak-Johor-Bahru

Kek-Lapis-Sarawak-Johor-Bahru

The colourful cake is sweet and dense. The colours will cheer up any party.

Kek-Lapis-Sarawak-Johor-Bahru

The colourful Kek Lapis Sarawak is the result of hours of painstakingly and patient work - making the layered cake strip by strip, and layer by layer.

Kek-Lapis-Sarawak-One-Food-and-Cake-House-Pandan-City-Johor-Bahru

Between each layer, auntie spreads a coat of tacky jam to hold the dozens of strips together.

The choc rolls retails at RM27 each.

Choc-Roll-Johor-Bahru

Choc-Roll-Johor-Bahru

I found the choc rolls unconsciously addictive. I could take one piece and then another, and surprise myself that I have eaten a whole roll! :( The choc rolls are sweet, crunchy with a bit of saltiness and slightly greasy.

The process of making the choc roll requires a lot of teamwork.

Choc-Roll-Johor-Bahru

Kek-Lapis-Sarawak-One-Food-and-Cake-House-Pandan-City-Johor-Bahru

Bakers are busy baking and making the outer cake layer of the choc rolls.

Choc-Roll-Johor-Bahru

Choc-Roll-Johor-Bahru

The baker spreading the cake with chocolate spread and folding in a chocolate bar. The chocolate bar comes in various brands such as Crunchie, Kit Kat, Kidder Bueno and others.

Choc-Roll-Johor-Bahru

The baker warps the crunchy chocolate bar with the cake and completes a choc roll.

One-Food-and-Cake-House-Pandan-City-Johor-Bahru

Restaurant name: One Food and Cake House
Address: 10, Jalan Pandan Rial 5, Pusat Pergagangan Pandan, Johor Bahru
Map: http://goo.gl/maps/B1Blz
GPS: 1.524999,103.763844
Hours: 9:00am to midnight (closed on Monday)
Halal

Date visited: 20 July 2012, 2 July 2013

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tony, talking about HR goodies, wonder if you are aware of the raya cookie factories in Simpang Renggam. Apparently, they sell nice & cheap cookies. I haven't been there myself but I know of many Singaporeans who have. In fact some have already gone there to shop for this year's raya cookies!

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published