Friday, 9 May 2014

Outram Park Fried Kway Teow Mee in Singapore 欧南園炒粿麺


Outram Park char kway teow is one of Singapore's long time favourites.

I know of friends who must have at least 1 or 2 plates a day, in the days long before blogging, Facebook, Instagram, and instant fame.

Went to revisit this old favourite today - it's been 3 years since I ate this.


I reached Hong Lim food centre at 3:00pm and there was still a short queue at the stall. There's always a queue here, just long or short, as long as I could remember.

I joined the queue and a lady came to take my order and money. 


The piping hot SGD3 plate of char kway teow was huge, enough for two small eaters to share. The boss was very generous with the extra taugeh (bean sprouts) which I asked for.


The plate of char kway teow was quite simple. Just noodles, fresh cockles and it's bloody juices (seeham), crunchy bean sprouts, egg, savoury soy and fish sauce, and a bit of lard - all put together with lots of high energy tossing and turning in a hot wok. 

No lup cheong (Cantonese sausage), fish cake, prawns or chives.

(Ah Heng, famous char kway teow uncle in Johor Bahru told me that this is the Teochew style. It's called seeham kway teow, and it's minus all the "frills".)


The noodles were enveloped in a wet sweet, savoury, and not greasy sauce. 

I liked the soft, wet feel and savoury flavour of the noodles. 

Wok hei, however, was not pronounced. Some charred bits but seared noodles were unevenly spread. The weak garlic and lard aroma faded quickly.


I cleaned up the whole plate of 1 million calories all by myself.

No regrets.

After my char kway teow I watched the team at work. 

One lady, takes your orders and collects your money while you're in the queue. When you arrive at the front, the lady boss confirms your order and relays it to the boss who will fry the noodles to your specifications.


The busy boss, Mr. Ng, is very accommodating - more chili, less chili, more taugeh, less taugeh, cooked seeham, rare seeham, just say it.

This simple system works well and the boss seems to enjoy himself judging from his quick, rhythmic swaying, bouncing, dancing as he fries, non stop.

Mr. Ng still wears that signature white T-shirt of old school Teochew chefs. (Mr. Ng is Hokkien, but his father who founded this stall learnt the art from a Teochew sifu or master.)


This was another customer's plate. It was drier and looked more gummy than mine. Perhaps, my extra juicy taugeh made mine wetter.

I shall be back for this "normal" version. Plus extra seeham :P

This picture made me hungry, already. Again.

Highly recommended. 


Restaurant name: Outram Park Fried Kway Teow Mee 欧南園炒粿麺
Address:  531A Upper Cross Street, #02-18 Hong Lim Market & Food Centre
GPS: 1.285509,103.845734
Hours:  6:00am to 4:30pm (Closed on Sundays and public holidays)
Non Halal

Date visited: 8 May 2014

Return to Johor Kaki homepage.


  1. Haha...I just ate it 2 days ago with my colleagues too! We simply loves it :) We will eat ar least pnce a month for sure!! :P

  2. Totally not comparable with Penang char koay teow. Just after the first spoon I ate this Outram Park char koay teow, immediately I start to plan what to eat next that can completely wash out the taste in my mouth.


I firmly believe that taste is subjective and so, warmly welcome differing viewpoints :-D But, I disapprove negative comments that are anonymous or hide behind fake identities. I feel that that is the same as speaking ill of others behind their backs. I look forward to all your comments :-D Thank you. (Date: 18 Dec 2015)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...