Thursday, 30 July 2015

Ah Hui Big Prawn Noodles Long House in Singapore Balestier 阿辉大虾面 JK1201

I've heard a lot about the famous Ah Hui Big Prawn Noodles at the now demolished Long House food centre along Thomson Road. For fans of Ah Hui, the stall has moved to Balestier Market along Balestier Road (old news ;-p  ).

Restaurant name: Ah Hui Big Prawn Noodles 阿辉大虾面
Address: Balestier Market, 411 Balestier Road, Singapore
GPS1.325805, 103.849047
Hours: 9:00am to 10:30pm (Closed on alternate Mondays)
Non Halal

I've not eaten at Ah Hui's before at Long House but have been to their Balestier stall a few times as it is the favourite haunt of a few of my makan kakis (foodie buddies).

Ah Hui Big Prawn Noodle stall is now run by James and wife Mary, the second generation owners.

The broth at Ah Hui is not prawn broth at all, but a herbal broth with a secret formula created by James' father, Tan Ah Hui - Big Prawn's founder.

Ah Hui's big prawns are kept iced, never frozen.

The large wild sea prawns are kept under an ice blanket, and only blanched in Ah Hui's signature herbal broth just before serving.

Big prawn (halved) noodles in soup.

My personal preference is for the "dry" version as I can enjoy the prawns, soup and noodles separately.

The generic yellow noodles were tossed in a robust blend of premium soy sauce, lard, lard crackles, fried shallot, sambal chili sauce, garlic, and ketchup. The intense flavours are appealing to Ah Hui's strong following of fans. Personally, my taste buds nowadays are tuned to gentler flavours.

The big sea prawns (either Ang Kar 紅腳 or Sway Kar 小腳)  in herbal broth.

The savoury sweet medium bodied broth has slight herbal notes. The flavours were further intensified with a dash of premium soy sauce, shallot oil, fried shallots and lard crackles.

I've asked for just the broth without garnishes of soy sauce, shallot oil, fried shallots etc. I like the savoury sweet herbal flavours neat - all by itself :-D 

The big sea prawns were merely blanched in the herbal broth just before serving, so we were able to taste the meaty prawn's natural crustacean sweetness.

I appreciate it this way instead of short cuts like pre-cooking the prawns or soaking them in the broth. Kudos to James and Mary for the extra effort to serve customers better food.

Love these ocean fresh meaty prawns done just right in herbal broth.

Next time, I shall also go for the prawns plus pig tail version at Ah Hui as I am a pig tail person ;-p

Balestier Market - this place holds many memories for me as I was studying nearby in Balestier Hill West Primary School (now demolished) in the 1960s. I spent many hours roaming these streets and the (then) wet market.

Disclosure: James declined our payment for the food consumed.

Dates visited: 29 Jul 2015

Return to Johor Kaki homepage.


  1. Do try their pork ribs version (if its still available coz I last ate it when it was still at Longhouse), I like it much more than the prawns.

    1. ah yes Philip, they do have ribs. I shall try their ribs and pig tails next time.

  2. saw in the pic they sell fish cakes also but they dun include it in the noodles ?

    1. They sell another dish - fish ball noodles, which is also popular.


I firmly believe that taste is subjective and so, warmly welcome differing viewpoints :-D But, I disapprove negative comments that are anonymous or hide behind fake identities. I feel that that is the same as speaking ill of others behind their backs. I look forward to all your comments :-D Thank you. (Date: 18 Dec 2015)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...