There was a lunch time queue but wasn't too long.
Na Na Homemade Curry was founded in 1989 in Marina South (at the food court). Five brothers started the business using their grandmother's Peranakan curry recipes - the details are still a family secret.
Na Na Curry was well loved and its Bukit Merah View outlet was honoured in the Michelin Bib Gourmand list every year since the Singapore guide was launched in 2016.
Today, Na Na Curry has at least twelve outlets across the island from Jurong to Changi Airport (Jewel).
The menu is at the stall front. The original 1989 stall had fish head, pork, mutton, chicken, and vegetable curry. Fish meat curry was added later.
I struggled a bit between pork and mutton 🤔
Just potato and pork rib in curry. They have rice or baguette to go with the curry but I declined the carbs.
Tried the curry first.
It was medium bodied, neither thick nor creamy though the presence of coconut milk was felt. Sweetish, savoury, and very spicy hot. Love it, love the lingering spicy kick.
The meat on the ribs were fall-off-the-bone soft tender. Sweetish, I enjoyed it.
The potato was sweet soft tender and well infused with spicy curry flavours.
Enjoyed this so much.
Should I get the mutton curry as well?
I convinced myself to go for a walk, burn some calories and then come back for the mutton curry.
Actually, I ate another dish before coming back to Na Na Curry 🤭 (but that's the story for another post).
Came back around for the mutton curry as promised (to myself).
The cubes of meat were tender with a little bit of chew. Flavour was savoury spicy with very little gaminess. I like mutton for its gaminess, so I didn't get what I had hoped for. Compared to pork, Na Na's mutton curry was less spicy and doesn't have any sweetness.
How come the taste profile between the pork and mutton are so different, some may ask. Because, Na Na Curry is a serious hawker stall. They don't throw all the different meats into one single pot, but every meat is cooked in a separate pot. So, all the curries have their own unique taste profile and there is no cross contamination of flavours. Kudos to Na Na Curry for not taking shortcuts or cutting corners.
Finished up the mutton curry too. Personally, I prefer their pork curry and I shall be back to try their fish head, chicken and vegetable curries.
Written by Tony Boey on 21 Sep 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment
No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published