Tsukiji Fish Market is a tourist trap hotspot. The fish auction market has moved to Toyusu in 2018, now leaving only the "Outer Market" which are retail shops and restaurants.
Tourists still swarm the place.
Including this one. Tourists gotta do what tourists gotta do 😄
Still have things to see and learn lah. They were picking the roe out of sea urchins or uni ウニ (note to self: pronounced "Ernie" not "wuni").
We passed by Tsukiji Sushi Dai Honkan 築地すし大本館.... . Eh? No queue woh. Normally, one would need reservations or queue at least 30 minutes, longer during meal times to get inside.
Don't waste time lo, we quickly found ourselves inside the sushi-ya.
Tsukiji Sushi Dai Honkan has two levels. We were ushered upstairs.
Such warm words 😌 (Some restaurants in Japan do not allow photo taking.)
We picked the ¥3850 (SGD30) set.
Started with necessary lubrication. I couldn't remember what sake it was (didn't note down the label). But, I haven't had a bad sake in Japan. This was good too.
The fish was very fresh and high quality. Once you tasted and felt it, you know this was something different. After that it becomes a mental benchmark - you try to get back that flavour and texture. The fish meat has a very subtle pushback, almost a delicate spring to the bite. Once you experienced it, you will notice whether it is or isn't the same, the moment you put a piece of sushi in your mouth.
Each piece of sushi was well balanced between the rice and topping. There wasn't too much rice on each piece of sushi, so I don't have to worry about carb overload.
I didn't dip my sushi into soy sauce but I want to taste the subtle flavours in each piece.
I prefer Tsukiji Sushi Dai Honkan over Endo Sushi at Osaka Central Market though this costs slightly more. But, at ¥3850 (SGD30) for what we got, it is much more affordable than exclusive sushi-ya. I also prefer the more relaxed casual atmosphere here than those exclusive high end sushi-ya. It's just me lah...
Sushi Dai Tsujiki is not the Michelin starred Sushi Dai Tokyo (never ate there before - add to bucket list).
When you must do the tourist thing and are in Tsujiki Market, and you want to eat sushi, eat here at Tsukiji Sushi Dai Honkan 築地すし大本館.
Written by Tony Boey on 24 Aug 2026


No comments:
Post a Comment
No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published