Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Johor Kaki Adventurous Foodie Traveler with 77 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

New World Teochew Mutton Soup📍Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre 新世界羊肉汤

Stalking Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre, I circled the food stalls a few times. Passed New World Mutton Soup a few times but didn't stop because I didn't smell any gaminess 羊膻味.

Yeah, I old unker prefer lamb or mutton with gamey smell and taste. Good ingredients must have their natural taste and smell one mah, tui mah 对吗? (correct or not?).

But anyway, I needed to get my day's quota of protein without any carbs, so I settled for this mutton soup sans the rice.

Turned out, I enjoyed this mutton soup more than I expected.

New World Mutton Soup menu.

New World Mutton Soup was founded by Ng Seok Jua in 1962 and is in the fourth generation now.

I opted for the lamb ribs soup for SGD$8.

The soup looked like tea.

It was mildly savoury sweetish. The presence of ginger and aromatics like parsley was felt, so was a bit of gaminess which I could smell and taste.

Ah... so that's how it works.

The signature gaminess of lamb revealed itself only on our palate.

There were four pieces of lamb rib. They were meaty, and the meat with a bit of fat was fall-off-the-bone tender.

Soaking and simmering in the pot of broth before serving, the soft meat was juicy, saturated with soup and its  flavours. The meat was not mushy, and every bite sent molecules of flavour and aroma pleasure up our mouth and nasal passages.

They provide chili garlic lime sauce and fish sauce which can mask the little gaminess. I don't need lah, a bit of gaminess makes lamb taste better in my opinion. But, how gamey is good gamey, is highly subjective, so you may appreciate these dips more than me. They also give this mutton soup some of its Teochew character e.g. Teochews like to flavour or cook their food with fish sauce.


This was what I wrote about New World Mutton Soup in 2019 when I was compiling recommendations for Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre. This article needs an update as some of the old hawkers have retired and there are new stalls.

I mentioned liquorice or kum cho 甘草 but this sweet herb seemed to be toned down further today. As I am not a liquorice fan, I actually like this soup better now (hence this full article).

I enjoyed this mutton soup. You would too, if you don't like too much gaminess.

New_World_Mutton_Soup_Bedok_Interchange_Hawker_Centre_新世界羊肉汤

Stall name: New World Mutton Soup 新世界羊肉汤

Address: 208B New Upper Changi Rd, stall #01-23, Singapore 462208 (Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre)


Nearest MRT: 5 minute walk from Bedok station


Hours: 9:30am - 10pm (Tues off)



Read more 👉


Singapore


Follow me on Facebook & Instagram



Written by Tony Boey on 11 Sep 2026


2 comments:

  1. Herbal Mutton Soup in SG now is not constant, taste is different every single day...🤪

    ReplyDelete
  2. 羊肉汤🐑滋补营养!

    ReplyDelete

No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published