Came to Newton Food Centre to enjoy Kwang Kee, one of the most famous Teochew fish soup / noodle / porridge in Singapore.
Founded in 1962, Kwang Kee is one of the original thirty plus Orchard Gluttons Square hawkers who relocated to Newton Food Centre in the 1970s.
Kwang Kee's signatures are Teochew sliced fish porridge and fried sliced fish bee hoon.
I opted for sliced fish soup 🤭 I cut carbs for quite a while already. Only have carbs when I must must, e.g. like reviewing fried Hokkien mee, so no choice.
This for SGD$6 which I felt is excellent value for money in today's market. Fish is an expensive ingredient in Singapore.
Just clear soup with thin slices of fish, pieces of lettuce, sprinkle of scallion and fried shallot.
That's it. That's all.
Minus some points for using factory supplied fried shallot 😬
The watery soup was clear, deceptively.
It was rich in savoury sweetish flavours.
The lady boss squeezed a puff of pepper powder on every bowl of fish soup before serving. It added a subtle touch of spiciness to the soup.
There's option to add evaporated milk to the soup, but no thanks 🙏
The soup was so clean tasting, I could taste the lettuce's green sweet flavour and felt its gentle crunch.
The slice came with a strip of skin, the way I like it.
The white flesh was fresh, soft tender, tasted clean and sweet. Personally, I prefer the fish to have a subtle delicate push back to the bite.
Nevertheless, a nice tasty slice of ikan batang fish.
I like to enjoy my fish soup with cut chili pepper. It stings the tongue, wakes it up, and allows us to discern the subtle flavours of mild tasting food, like ikan batang fish slices.
A good place for a fish soup fix.
Written by Tony Boey on 27 Aug 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment
No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published