Fu Ming Cooked Food does the lunch and dinner shift at Redhill Market. The over half century old stall is in the second generation now.
Second generation owner 吴有才 Goh Chye Oo took over from his mother who founded the stall in 1972. 吴有才 runs the stall with his wife.
I ordered the smallest SGD$3 serving for tasting.
I enjoyed the carrot cake though I don't quite like food being served on plastic lined paper and styrofoam plate.
Chunks of kway big and small were partially covered in egg, peering out from under the yellow folds. There were some visible crisp and browning outside some of the pieces of kway.
The kway or cake were soft tender and moist - moist because the shredded radish inside were juicy.
In the mouth, there were layers of different sweetness from the rice flour, corn flour and the radish. Some umami and savouriness came from bits of chai poh, garlic and fish sauce. A bit of wok hei too from the well seared outside.
I opted for chili, so there was slight savoury spicy heat as well. Fu Ming blend their own sambal belacan.
I enjoyed this cai tow kway for its depth of flavours even though it was slightly greasy from vegetable oil (no lard).
No bluff, Fu Ming really has fresh radish in their carrot cake (that's why it is more moist than most "carrot cake" stalls).
Boss 吴有才 makes the carrot cake daily with rice flour, corn flour and hand shredded radish, cooking them by steaming in trays. The trays of carrot cake are then hand cut into small pieces (hence they are all of different sizes and shapes) and pan fried with vegetable oil before serving.
Boss 吴有才 still hand shred the radish everyday as machine shredders will separate the juice and fibre, ruining the natural texture and taste of the radish. 吴有才 and wife end their day at midnight after making the next day's carrot cake and cleaning up the stall.
A good old school, artisanal carrot cake. Next time, I will also try their black version 🐈⬛
Read more 👉
True blue Singaporean review of Singapore Michelin guide hawkers
Follow me on Facebook & Instagram
Written by Tony Boey on 24 Sep 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment
No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published