Hong Kee Beef Noodle was founded by Tan Kee Hong at Keok Street in 1958, hence Hong Kee. Tan Kee Hong hailed from Qionghai county in southeast Hainan island.
Hong Kee stall later moved to Cuppage Centre in the 1970s, then here in Amoy Street Food Centre thirty years ago. Second generation owners, siblings Tony and Lily Tan run the heritage stall today.
I ordered the SGD$10 serving, dry version. A mound of thick rice noodle smothered in a thick gooey brown sauce and topped with beef, and aromatics.
Boss Tony Tan was very kind. He asked me to sit and brought the dish to me when it was ready 🙏
The thick gooey sauce was made with beef bones, soy sauce, spice, etc. It had a mild savoury, beefy, sweet, aromatic taste.
There were options of kway teow or this thick rice noodle. I opted for this because over in Hainan Island, most locals there eat their Hainanese beef noodle with thick rice vermicelli like this.
The thick tender strands were enveloped in the slick brown sauce, thus carrying its savoury beefy sweet flavours over its own sweet rice taste.
Slurpingly delicious.
The bowl was chockfull of various cuts of beef - tripe, lean meat, brisket, shin, beef ball, etc., but no tendon. They were all fresh, tender, moist, beefy sweet, clean tasting (except for the beef ball which was generic factory made).
Coriander, and kiam chye (salt preserved mustard green) added their flavours and aromas to the bowl.
I like this chili sauce. It was a blend of umami savoury, spicy hot and zesty sour.
Beef bone soup perfumed with aromatic like coriander.
Actually, I just wanted to eat up the protein, then leave most of the carbs (because I don't want any glucose spike and crash).
In the end, I couldn't help myself. Good things call for a little sacrifice sometimes 😄
Written by Tony Boey on 17 Sep 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment
No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published