Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Johor Kaki Adventurous Foodie Traveler with 77 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Bismillah Biryani Michelin Recommended📍50 Dunlop Street Little India ☎ 69351326

After an errand near Little India, I decided to have lunch at Bismillah Biryani at the intersection of Dunlop Street and Perak Road.

I like the vibes of this part of Singapore - colourful heritage buildings, busy, gritty, the air filled with sounds, smells of spices, dust kicked up by vehicles on the crowded streets.

Bismillah Biryani was founded in 2003 by chef Syed Arif Salahuddin.

Regulars, locals and tourists seek out Bismillah Biryani - it has been around for decades and awarded the Michelin Bib Gourmand honours every year since the  Singapore guide's inception in 2016.


Stepping into Bismillah Biryani, I liked the atmospherics as it reminded me of rustic old Singapore, or small town Malaysia. Earthly colours, simple furnishings, air conditioned, shielding us from the heat, road grime and noise outside.

I zeroed in on the biryanis.

Made my order at the counter, paid, and returned to my seat with a pager. When the pager buzzed, returned to the counter to collect my food.

I opted for the chicken biryani medium size SGD$12.90 serving as I wanted more protein. I told lady boss I don't take much rice. Lady boss kindly gave me a box and plastic bag to take away any leftovers without any charge 🙏


The biryani came in a mound with shades of spice infused orange coloured rice, topped with golden freshly fried onion.

All long grain light fluffy basmati rice.

Two pieces of chicken. 

Bismillah Biryani originally do traditional dum biryani - meaning all the ingredients - rice, meat, and spices (masala) were cooked together in a sealed pot. Today, they use a hybrid technique which combined tradition with new technology like combi ovens.

The meat was fall-off-the-bone tender. Flavours were mild in the meat. The rice was also relatively mildly flavoured, not greasey and aromas were slight.

The freshly fried ribbons of onion added flavour and aroma to the rice.

In the end, I enjoyed myself enough to finish up all the rice - didn't leave anything for takeaway 🤭

I shall be back for the signature lamb shank with kaki kaki.

Bismillah_Biryani_Michelin_Dunlop_Street_Little_India

Restaurant name: Bismillah Biryani


Address: 50 Dunlop St, Singapore 209379


Nearest MRT: 10 minutes walk from Rochor station


Tel: 69351326


Hours: 11:30am - 8:30pm




Written by Tony Boey on 20 Sep 2026


No comments:

Post a Comment

No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published