Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Zhiwa Ling Ascent Thimphu & Zhiwa Ling Heritage Paro · Hotels in Bhutan

✍️ 4 Jan 2024.  During my visit to Bhutan, I stayed in Zhiwa Ling Ascent 4⭐ in Thimphu and Zhiwa Ling Heritage 5⭐ in Paro. Both were very pleasant and comfortable stays 🙏

Zhiwa Ling Ascent 4⭐ Thimphu


Zhiwa Ling Ascent is nestled in parkland about 10 minutes drive from Thimphu, capital city of Bhutan.

Not a big place, everything - reception, dining room, bar, cafe and accommodation - all in one compact building.

Zhiwa Ling Ascent 4⭐ is a bright, comfortable, relaxing place.

The dining room is also bright and sunny.

Western style breakfast is served at Zhiwa Ling Ascent 4⭐ I would love Bhutanese dishes but they don't have it for breakfast. I didn't have lunch or dinner at the hotel as I was out in town (Thimphu) 😆🕺

Room was just the right size for me, very clean and I like the woody, cheery, cosy decor. Wood made the room feel warmer, which is appreciated in the chilly Bhutanese winter. The room, of course, is well heated with modern electric heating.

Basic amenities but everything I need was there.

Zhiwa Ling Ascent is nestled in rolling, forested hills a 10 minute drive from urban Thimphu so we get to enjoy the greenery i.e. the best of both worlds.

Thimphu city has many things for visitors from cuisine to art and culture, and sights such as the iconic Buddha Dordenma statue.

Zhiwa Ling Heritage 5⭐ Paro


This was our base for the hike up (and down 😄 ) Paro's Tiger's Nest Monastery.

The reception block where the dining rooms, bar, and function rooms are located in Zhiwa Ling Heritage hotel.

The reception block's main entrance with sheltered pickup point.

The reception hall was stunning, I mean stupendously beautiful. Most surfaces were adorned with ornate Bhutanese art.

I spent time exploring the reception hall as it was like a museum of Bhutanese art and culture.

The beautiful Bhutanese style accommodation blocks are satellite buildings a short walk from the reception block. Buggy service is available in case you need it e.g. to move your luggage. Otherwise, I enjoyed the short walks.

The huge room and comprehensive amenities were at least on par with the best 5⭐ hotels that I have experienced.

The bar was well stocked with complimentary supplies. There was even ground coffee and a French press.

Can soak in the hug tub, if you want.


The dining room is grand, like an upscale restaurant.

The menu is mostly Western with a Bhutanese option.

I picked the Bhutanese set as I wanted to learn as much about Bhutan cuisine as possible during my short stay.

The breakfast room is more casual but very comfortable and pleasant. Gentle sunray streamed in through the full length windows as the sun rose.

The breakfast menu was wholly Western.

Buckwheat pancakes were the nearest thing I could get for a Bhutanese breakfast.

But, I love this place. The staff were attentive, sincere, very helpful and friendly.

For English speakers, visiting Bhutan is easier as most Bhutanese are fluent in both their Mother tongue Zongkha and English. They speak English with clear diction, correct grammar and without words borrowed from other languages or dialects (unlike my English 🤭 ).

I will choose Zhiwa Ling Heritage, if I am looking for a 5⭐ hotel in Paro.

More Johor Kaki articles about Bhutan 👈 click


Zhiwa_Ling_Ascent_Thimphu

Zhiwa Ling Ascent Hotel 4⭐


Address: Thimphu, Bhutan


Tel: +975 233 6491




Zhiwa_Ling_Heritage_Paro_Bhutan

Zhiwa Ling Heritage Hotel 5⭐


Address: Satsam Chorten, Paro, Bhutan


Tel: +975 827 1277




Join 76K followers of Johor Kaki

Written by Tony Boey on 4 Jan 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published