Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

MLTR Concert in Batam, Indonesia. Michael Learns to Rock STILL Asian Tour 2018

MLTR Concert in Batam, Indonesia. Michael Learns to Rock STILL Asian Tour 2018

Truth be told, the only MLTR song I thought I knew before attending the concert was "25 Minutes" because some people still sing it in karaokes. I like "25 Minutes", so I accepted the invitation to attend the MLTR concert in Batam on a media ticket.

MLTR Concert in Batam, Indonesia. Michael Learns to Rock STILL Asian Tour 2018

It turned out, I was blown away - I know that sounds horribly cliché but the experience was really beyond my expectations. During the concert, I realised that I actually knew many more MLTR songs - they were just in the deep recesses of my mind (I am that old 😱 ). The concert brought back so many memories of people, events and places from the 1990s. It was a really sentimental, slightly emotional journey for me.

MLTR Concert in Batam, Indonesia. Michael Learns to Rock STILL Asian Tour 2018

All roads in Batam lead to the MLTR concert which was held at Radisson Golf and Convention Centre Batam.

MLTR Concert in Batam, Indonesia. Michael Learns to Rock STILL Asian Tour 2018

A mandatory photo with our idols before the concert. Many fans were like me, here to relive memories with MLTR songs. There were also many new MLTR fans.

MLTR Concert in Batam, Indonesia. Michael Learns to Rock STILL Asian Tour 2018

We were all so excited, waiting to go inside the grand ballroom for the concert. Tickets (from S$50 - S$250) were sold out 3 weeks before the concert. About 40% of the audience came from outside of Batam - from Sumatra, Java, and also Singapore and Malaysia. Everyone was happy and cheerful.

Tommy Pratama Original Production

MLTR was brought to Indonesia and Batam by Tommy Pratama, owner of Original Production. Original Production was established in 1991, the same year MLTR released their first album Michael Learns to Rock. Tommy had been in the show promotion business since he was studying in Trisakti University in Jakarta. Tommy said that he will be bringing in more international acts to Batam. The coming Batam Music Festival in March 2019 will feature 3 world class artistes - so watch out for it.

MLTR Concert in Batam, Indonesia. Michael Learns to Rock STILL Asian Tour 2018

(Trivia - the name Micheal Learns to Rock was inspired by Michael Jackson - there is no Michael in the band 😂 There's Jascha Richter (lead singer), guitarist Mikkel Lentz and drummer Kare Wanscher. The name was coined in haste but success came so fast to MLTR, it was too late to change and the band got stuck with it since.) 

MLTR Concert in Batam, Indonesia. Michael Learns to Rock STILL Asian Tour 2018

We all went wild with excitement when our idols come on stage in Radisson convention centre's grand ballroom. The show started right on time but anticipation made 25 minutes seemed like 24 hours.



Here we go! The opening song "Complicated Heart (1993)" took our hearts away, right away.

🎸 Even if you want to go alone  
I will be waiting when you're coming home  
If you need someone to ease the pain  
You can lean on me 
My love will still remain 🎙




"Breaking my Heart (1996)".

🎸 There is no excuse my friend  
For breaking my heart  
Breaking my heart again  
This is where our journey ends  
You're breaking my heart again 🎙



MLTR sings one of my favourite Mandarin songs 吻别 from one of my Cantopop idols Jackie Cheung 张学友. MLTR specially wrote and sang "Take Me to Your Heart" during their Guangzhou tour in  2005.

🎸 Take me to your heart take me to your soul 
Give me your hand before I'm old 
Show me what love is - haven't got a clue 
Show me that wonders can be true 🎙

(Trivia - MLTR was so popular in Hong Kong that they were the headliner performance at the concert in conjunction with the transfer of Hong Kong to China in 1997.) 



"You Took my Heart Away (2000)".

🎸 You took my heart away 
When my whole world was grey 
You gave me everything and a little bit more 
And when it's cold at night 
And you sleep by my side 
You become the meaning of my life 🎙


"I'm Gonna be Around (1997)".

🎸 I'm gonna love you till the end
I'm gonna be  
Your very true friend  
I want to share your ups and downs
I'm gonna be around 🎙




"Nothing to Lose (1997)".

🎸 Nothing to lose  
Your love to win  
Hoping so bad  
That you'll let me in  
I'm at your feet  
Waiting for you  
I've got time  
And nothing to lose 🎙



If you know the name of this beautiful song, please share with me (in the comments).




"25 Minutes (1993)".

🎸 Boy I missed your kisses all the time 
But this is twenty five minutes too late 
Though you travelled so far 
Boy I'm sorry you are 
Twenty five minutes too late 🎙




"Love will Never Lie (1995)"

🎸 We will keep the faith between us 
If we only try 
We will keep the truth inside us 
Love will never lie 🎙



Do you know the name of this song? Please share with us in the comments, if you know. Appreciate it.




We know it is time - they have to go but our hearts just don't want to say good bye to them. We asked for more and they graciously obliged with encores of "Paint My Love (1996)", "That's Why (1995)".

🎸 Paint my love 
You should paint my love 
It's the picture of a thousand sunsets 
It's the freedom of a thousand doves 
Baby, you should paint my love 🎙

🎸 I won't forget the way you're kissing 
The feeling's so strong were lasting for so long 
But I'm not the man your heart is missing 
That's why you go away I know 🎙




We feel sad but have to say good bye 😢 Thanks MLTR for the memories. It was a wonderful evening we won't forget.

MLTR Concert in Batam, Indonesia. Michael Learns to Rock STILL Asian Tour 2018

At least here in this blog, I can come back when I wish to relive those beautiful moments.

MLTR Concert in Batam, Indonesia. Michael Learns to Rock STILL Asian Tour 2018

Pro Tip - the front row tickets for tonight's MLTR concert cost S$250 while the back row went for S$50. Batam is a good place to catch your Superstar idols and still have change enough for a weekend getaway with hotel, food, massage and shopping thrown in. Watch out for the Batam Music Festival in Mar 2019 🎸

Johor Kaki

Return to Johor Kaki homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published