Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Traditional Famous Prawn Mee in Hougang · No Horse Run · No Bull 传统著名虾面

Buddy raved about a traditional prawn mee stall in Ang Mo Kio saying it is "no horse run" 😮 Since he say until liddat (like that), I must really try it soon. 

I am usually skeptical, even cynical about stalls and restaurants that name themselves "famous" and such. But buddy say until "no horse run", I have no choice but to go to the original stall in Hougang (instead of the same name stall at 338 Ang Mo Kio) 🤭

Stall name: Traditional Famous Prawn Mee 传统著名虾面


Address: 21 Hougang Street 51, #01-42, Singapore 538719 (stall inside Food Loft coffee shop)


Nearest MRT: 10 minutes walk from Buangkok station


Hours: 8am - 2pm (Thurs off)



The name Traditional Famous Prawn Mee is quite a mouthful but anyway, it's the stall at the Food Loft kopitiam with the longest queue. Every corner I looked, most customers here sport an orange colour bowl (from Traditional Famous Prawn Mee stall).

They have $5 and $6 servings. I opted for the small one to give myself the option to later go for their lor mee which is also famous 😂

Anyway, inexplicably even to myself, I ordered the thick rice vermicelli (chor bee hoon). My usual choice for prawn mee is yellow noodle with thin bee hoon.

Sometimes I do something different for no apparent reason 🤔

Anyway, the sauce was excellent. 

I was blown away 

It was a drippy lardy robustly umami savoury spicy hot sauce with sweet porcine undertones. There was enough sauce to grease every strand with spare.

Eating it with chor bee hoon was alright but I guess eating it with mee kia might be perfect for me. Next time.

The prawns were okay too. Fresh enough, soft tender, sweetish, and I like it that they were shelled so I can eat and take photos at the same time.

These were the best pork slices in a noodle dish that I have come across for a very very long time 😋 Tender tender moist naturally porcine sweet 👍

Truth be told, the watery pale tea colour soup looked underwhelming at first sight.

But, it taught me again, never to judge a soup by its colour 😂🤭 Thought I learnt that lesson with clear tom yum in Thailand.

The soup has a clear porcine flavour, savoury, peppery spicy, with subtle sweetness. It's almost like a superior peppery bak kut teh soup. Superb.

This stall is true to its name, Traditional Famous Prawn Mee. They serve old school prawn mee flavours which I have not come across for a very long time.

Buddy said they serve soup top ups, and he tested them OK.

Me, I am just greedy 😄

They served me the hot soup refill, no questions asked, no reservation, no hint of any unwillingness at all.

This stall win already lor... Win my palate, win my heart.

Shall be back also for their lor mee which I heard is also very good.


Join 75K followers of Johor Kaki

Written by Tony Boey on 11 Oct 2023

🎗 This blog is powered by voluntary contributions from appreciative readers to Tony Boey Johor Kaki PAYNOW 96888768 in Singapore $.


Join Johor Kaki mailing list

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published