Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Teck Lai 德来 Fish Noodles in Taman Gaya, Johor Bahru

Fish-Noodles-Johor

When I realised that the famous Teck Lai 德来 fish noodle shop in Johor Jaya, Jalan Teratai changed hands in 2010, I thought I will never have a chance to taste the original Teck Lai fish noodles. Yesterday, I was so, so happy that I stumbled upon the original Teck Lai in Taman Gaya.

Fish-Noodles-Johor-Bahru

This was purely a lucky find. I was on my way for lobster hunting in Pengerang and stopped over at Taman Gaya for early breakfast. I drove a couple of rounds around Taman Gaya and decided to try out Hou Kee, a typical corner kopitiam.

Fish-Soup-Johor-Bahru

I walked and looked around the kopitiam, looking for a good food find and noticed this humble stall.

Fish-Noodles-Johor

Fish-Noodles-Johor

Fish-Noodles-Johor

I was attracted by the large heap of fried fish in the display cabinet and the hawkers busy making fresh noodles using this old hand powered machine.

Fish-Soup-Johor

So, I ordered a bowl to try. It was so good!

Fish-Soup-Johor

After I enjoyed my delicious fish soup noodles, I decided to blog about this stall and approached the friendly lady boss, Mdm Chew. Only during our conversation did I realised that this was the famous Teck Lai 德来 which I thought I will never have a chance to taste.

Mdm Chew's sister

Mdm Chew's family ran the famous Teck Lai shop in Johor Jaya Teratai for nearly 30 years but had to let it go in 2010 as there was no one in the family to take over the business.

After selling the Teratai shop, Mdm Chew and family took a short break and re-opened here in Taman Gaya. Then, it was back to the usual routine and rhythm of running one of JB's most popular fish noodle shop.

Mdm Chew's husband cut and fry the fresh mackerel and Ikan Merah fish every morning from 3:00am to 6:00am and by 6:30am, Teck Lai is ready to serve their customers.

Fish-Soup-Johor-Bahru

Each bowl of noodle is freshly hand made right here at the stall, one by one.

Fish-Noodles-Johor

The freshly made fat noodles were tender outside and had a firmer core. I liked the taste and mouth feel of Teck Lai's noodles.

Fish-Soup-Johor

Mee hoon kueh lovers can also have their fish soup served with the large freshly made, hand torn squares.

Fish-Noodles-Johor

The large chunk of fried fresh mackerel.

Fish-Soup-Johor-Bahru

The clear and naturally sweet soup was made with anchovies and fish bones. As usual, I slurped up the good soup to the last drop. No need for any MSG here as Teck Lai uses plenty of fish bones and anchovies.

Fish-Soup-Johor-Bahru

For chili lovers, remember to try this freshly made chili sauce.

Try Teck Lai's famous fish noodles when you are around the Taman Gaya area. Stop over for breakfast, if you are on your way north from JB to Kota Tinggi or Desaru area.

->> One of my favourite fish noodle soup. Fresh fish, fresh noodles, tasty broth, spicy power chili sauce.


Restaurant name: Teck Lai 德来 Fish Noodles
Address: Jalan Gaya 25, Taman Gaya, Ulu Tiram, Johor Bahru (Hou Kee kopitiam)
GPS: 1.567759,103.801145
Hours: 6:30am till sold out usually by 1:00pm

Non Halal


Date visited: 4 Feb 2013

JB Johor Best Food
👆 Click to return to JB Best 100 page

11 comments:

  1. Tried this and really love it! Especially the fat noodles! Must try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried this and loved it. Especially the 版面。

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much would each bowl cost? Am going to try this out on your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Closed for business for some times. I have try several times but the shop is not open for business. Please advice.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are still there based on recent check with one of my friends, who is their regular.

      Delete
  5. Hi Tony ... There is a shop (not a stall) called Teck Lai selling the same food. The people are probably related to eachother. The location is N 1.536941, E 103.810372. Would be interested in the review of this shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried. This is Teck Lai's old shop which they sold in 2010.

      Delete
  6. Stall has closed

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published