Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Tiong Bahru Min Nan Prawn Noodle ● Pro Tip: Ask For Bak Kut Mee

Tiong_Bahru_Min_Nan_Prawn_Noodle

Tiong Bahru Hawker Centre is my office today ☕ For breakfast, I chose Min Nan Prawn Noodle. The queue was constantly about 10 deep but moved along steadily.

Stall name: Min Nan 闽南 Pork Ribs and Prawn Noodles 


Address: 30 Seng Poh Rd, stall #02-31, Singapore 168898 (stall inside Tiong Bahru Market & Food Centre)


Nearest MRT: 5 minutes walk from Havelock station


Hours: 8:00am - 2:00pm (Mon off)



They have dry and soup noodles with options for prawn only, prawn and ribs, and pig tail soup. Prices range from $3.50 to $6.

I chose the $5 set with dry noodles, prawn and ribs with a bowl of soup. I am pleased with the generous serving size.

The contents were generous for $5. On top of the noodles, there were two good sized prawns and two big pieces of pork ribs. There was a sprinkle of fried shallot and some lard croutons.

The taste is old school - I mean it was robustly umami savoury, spicy and lardy. When eating noodles, I like the sauce to be robust, plentiful, and greasy.

The slick noodles were tender soft which is the way I like yellow noodles done. (I saw other customers enjoying the mee pok version and it looked delicious.)

The two prawns were good sized, and the tail was shelled which I like as I can keep my fingers clean (to take pictures lah). They were fresh enough which is fair at this price point.

I was wowed by the size of the ribs - I mean they were the size of ribs at bak kut teh stalls 😃

They were done soft tender and they have a nice proportion of moist lean meat and juicy fat.

In the mouth, they were juicy and soft like at the best bak kut teh places. The flavour was subtly porcine which I like. 🤔 Maybe pork rib noodles (bak kut mee) is a good option here.

The lard croutons were large, fresh,  crunchy and saturated with flavoursome grease juice. Excellent.

The soup was savoury sweet with a bit of crustacean flavour but also had a watery taste (felt a bit diluted).

Min Nan Prawn Noodle is one of the popular options at Tiong Bahru Hawker Centre. It is easy to understand why once I have tried it. The food is old school delicious, and good value. 

Next time, I shall go for the pork rib (bak kut mee) option sans the prawns as the best things here for me were the pork ribs, noodles and sauce.



Written by Tony Boey on 29 Jan 2023


1 comment:

  1. Used to live nearby and the soup in the evenings for dinner is 10/10

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published