Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Fatt Kee Shou Shi Traditional Cantonese Breakfast @ Albert Centre


Office today at Albert Food Centre. Fatt Kee was one of the few stalls already opened at this early hour and there was a queue of hungry customers getting their breakfast before setting off for work.

There weren't too many items on Fatt Kee's menu - simple humble fare like chee cheong fun, fried noodles, rice dumplings, porridge and yam cake. Old school, comfort food. That's all.

Stall name: Fatt Kee Shou Shi


Address: 270 Queen Street, stall #01-68, Singapore 180270 (stall inside Albert Food Centre)


Nearest MRT: 5 minutes walk from Bugis station


Hours: 7:00am - 11:00am (Sun & Mon off)



I ordered only peanut porridge and yam cake, my favourite breakfast things. I also like chee cheong fun but decided to save some carbs for another round.

The peanut porridge had those light fried crisp topping which I liked since childhood.

It's a very simple porridge flavoured with just soft peanut and scallion. But, I like the watery gruel's old school gentle savoury sweet taste.

The yam cake was smothered with thick fiery red chili sauce, Cantonese style sweet savoury sauce, aromatic oil and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.

I like the robust savoury sweet spicy zesty flavours of the yam cake, sauces and aromatic oil together. The yam cake was soft, smooth and dense. There were bits of soft yam embedded inside.

The contrasting flavours alternating between spoonfuls of mild tasting porridge and mouthfuls of robust tasting sauces with the yam cake made everything tastes better together.

I enjoyed the porridge and yam cake, and so was ready for the plunge with chee cheong fun.

But when I came back I was turned off by the long queue which had grown longer 😬

I don't give up easily. I parked myself nearby with a kopi and stalked the stall. When the queue was slightly shorter, I jumped in and got my chee cheong fun 😬

The chee cheong fun was generic (I mean factory made) but I was delighted with its texture - thin, smooth, soft, and the sauces and oil clung well to it. It's the same savoury, sweet, spicy blend of sauces and aromatic oil as the yam cake. Nice!

You can start your day at Albert Food Centre with old style, nostalgic flavours Cantonese breakfast.

I got my kopi C kosong this morning from Chuan Heng stall #01-98. It was good - robustly bitter sweetened with eveporated milk.

My favourite early bird breakfast at Albert Food Centre is Hock Lee Fishball Noodle 👈 click



Written by Tony Boey on 2 Feb 2023

1 comment:

  1. Try the fried mee with congee good combo.

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published