Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Song Heng Fishball Noodle @ Ang Mo Kio 628 Market. My Favourite Things Here are Pork Slices, Al Dente Noodles & Excellent Sauce

Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle

Saw buddy Aaron recommending on Facebook, Song Heng Fishball Minced Pork Noodle in Ang Mo Kio 628 food centre. As a fan of fishball noodles and Aaron's recommendations, I went to AMK 628 food centre this morning to check out Song Heng. The fishballs were nice (no fish dumplings) but the best things here for me were their al dente noodles, flavourful sauce and deliciously sweet pork slices.

Stall name: Song Heng Fishball Minced Meat Noodle 松兴魚圓肉脞面


Address: 628 Ang Mo Kio Ave 4, #01-75, Singapore 560628


Hours: 5:30am - 12:30pm (Tues off)



Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle

Aaron said must be early, so I got here at AMK 628 Market at the crack of dawn. It's a 10 minute leisurely walk from Yio Chu Kang MRT station.

Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle

It is easy to spot 
Song Heng Fishball Minced Meat Noodle stall as it sports the longest queue in the food centre - always at least 8 - 10 deep. I stood in line for about 20 minutes on an early Monday morning (7am).

Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle

The lady taking orders was one of the nicest hawkers I have ever come across. She has a cheerful disposition and wraps each pair of chopsticks with tissue paper. Much appreciated 🙏

Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle

I had the $3.50 mee pok dry with $1 add-on ingredients. This is the bowl of noodles, sitting in a pool of sauce and topped with chopped spring onion. I can smell the lard and vinegar while taking this photo.

Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle

I like it that Song Heng provide plenty of blended sauce with their noodles. It's a blend of soy sauce, sambal, lard and vinegar plus other things which I don't know.

Alamak, I forgot to take my customary noodle shot (too long never come out for food blogging as I was recuperating at home after a major operation).

Anyway, I love Song Heng's noodles as it was done al dente in the Italian sense i.e. some may find their noodles too stiff or even a bit "raw". I had mee pok and I love its tender-chewy bite. If you like it a little less chewy, you can inform the friendly lady (chef will cook it a little longer) or you may opt for mee kia (slender noodle).

Song Heng's noodle is a winner because of its texture and also the slurpy sauce which tasted savoury spicy lardy vinegary.

Muaks!

Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle

Song Heng has the best bak pok (lard croutons) that I have ever come across in a hawker stall. The croutons are oversized - the largest one like a pebble the size of my thumb. Song Heng is generous - there were 4 or 5 of these in my bowl. The croutons were soft-tender with a bit of residual crisp and saturated with grease that floods the mouth with juice, flavour and aroma when it crumbles between our teeth.

Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle

The liaw 料 comes in a separate bowl of soup - there's fishballs, fishcake slices, pork slices and minced pork.

Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle
Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle

The fishballs tasted good - light, soft-tender, smooth and savoury sweet. The thick fishcake slices were a little denser, firmer and coarser than I like.

Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle

The soup is clear and tasted sweet savoury. It's a blend of porky and fish sweetness but a little too sweet for my liking. Don't take my word for it as they have many fans for their noodle soup version.

Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle

My favourite thing in the bowl were the fresh pork slices. They were soft, smooth and sweet like those premium cut pork that sell for an arm and a leg in atas steamboat places.

Song_Heng_Fishball_Minced_Meat_Noodle

I like Song Heng especially for their al dente noodles, punchy flavourful sauce, oversized lard croutons, and sweet lean pork slices. Shall order more of the pork slices next time. A piece of ti poh would complete the dish and make it perfect for me (but at $4.50 for everything I had today, I think it is a very good deal already).

I need to go back to take that obligatory noodle photo 😂

The first time I met Aaron was at AMK 628 Market back in 2016. We were having Sumo Big Prawn Noodle.
     
       
                     
             
             
               
               
             
           
           
           
                                                                                                                                                                         
           
             
                View this post on Instagram              
           
           
           
             
               
               
               
             
             
               
               
             
             
               
               
               
             
           
           
             
             
         

            A post shared by Tony Boey Johor Kaki (@johorkaki)          

       
     
         
 
Written by Tony Boey on 23 Aug 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published