Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Sofi Cafe @ The Scarlet Hotel. I was Surprised by how Delicious Keto Dishes can be

Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

This was my first keto meal and I was mighty impressed. I mean, I found it much tastier than expected.

Restaurant name: Sofi Cafe + Pizza


Address: 33 Erskine Rd, The Scarlet Hotel, Ground Floor & Rooftop, Singapore 069333


Tel: +65 6222 0879


Hours: 8:30am - 10:30pm


Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

When buddy Ben jio (invited) me to try out the keto dishes at Sofi Cafe @ The Scarlet Hotel, I was more curious than expecting a delicious meal. I mean, I understand the science behind the keto diet but I harboured this prejudice that diet food cannot be tasty.

The Scarlet Hotel is just steps from the URA building and Maxwell Food Centre.

Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

Stepping into Sofi Cafe located at the ground level of The Scarlet Hotel, we were greeted by an inviting bar.

Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

The dining room is simply furnished but pretty, relaxed and comfortable.

Sofi_Sui

As we came in during the afternoon lull at around 3pm, friendly owner Sofi Sui was able to sit down with us for coffee.

Sofi-Sui

Sofi fell seriously ill in her twenties, but thankfully, managed to recover from it. Since then, Sofi has been very conscious about health, fitness and diet.

As an avid chef, Sofi made keto dishes for friends who were managing their weight. Sofi became an advocate of the keto (zero carb) diet after good feedback and personally experiencing its health benefits such as in reducing pains and inflammation. Sofi opened Sofi Cafe three years ago to share her keto dishes, most of which she created herself.

Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

The first thing that caught my attention at Sofi Cafe was my flat white. It came with thick crema and pretty latte art. I don't see these often in cafes nowadays, ever since the specialty coffee craze passed its heyday a couple of years ago.

The coffee was rich with aroma and in the mouth, it had full round body and deep savoury nutty flavour. Sofi wouldn't share more about the beans beyond that they were Arabica 😂

Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

Our first dish was Squid Ink Spaghetti (price $25++) with mussel, crayfish, squid, prawn, garlic, etc. I'll be the first person to say that this is a not a pretty dish but I always order it whenever it is available because I love the peculiar taste of squid ink.

Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

As I twirled the pasta around my fork, I soon realised that it was not the spaghetti I expected. In the mouth, it was light and very crunchy but not quite in the spaghetti way. It was more like crunchy egg noodles of the fine wanton mee type but lighter. I like this as I like crunchy wanton mee, except that this was even more crunchy.

This "spaghetti" was actually Shirataki noodles made from the root of konjac plant.

The crunchy Shirataki noodles were fully enveloped with squid ink sauce, richly imparting its characteristic inky flavour to the whole dish.

Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

Beef Meat Balls Risotto (price $30++).

The "rice" was made at Sofi Cafe with oat fibre. The "rice" grains had an interesting soft crunch. They do not absorb moisture as well as regular rice but they were well enveloped with Sofi's umami savoury sweetish sauce.

The meat balls were tender and rich with beefy savoury sweet flavours.

I enjoyed this keto risotto a lot.

Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

Carbonara Pizza (price $24++).

Fresh cream, Mozzarella cheese, bacon, mushroom and sautéed onion on a thin crust made with oat fibre.

The topping was rich with layers of savoury flavours from all the ingredients, especially the cheese. The thin crust had a slight crisp at the browned fringe but was tender, floppy overall as it was made with carb free oat fibre. I like it that the pizza has full flavour and was not greasy at all.

Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

Keto Curry Puffs ($9.50++ each).

Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

The wrap is made with almond flour and filled with savoury minced chicken with flavourful spices and a little heat. The large pocket is fried to a nice golden brown crisp outside. Not as crisp and chewy as the best regular curry puff but I really enjoyed this carb free version for its flavours.

Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

Sofi Cafe stocks sugar free wines. The glass I had tasted as good as the regular stuff.

Sofi_Cafe_Scarlet_Hotel

I came to Sofi Cafe as a keto skeptic but left wondering if this could be the first step of my own keto journey. At the very least, it shattered my own bias that diet food cannot be tasty.

If you are curious about the keto diet, drop by Sofi Cafe for a taste. If Sofi is around and has time, have a chat with her about the keto lifestyle.
    
       
                     
             
             
               
               
             
           
           
           
                                                                                                                                                                         
           
             
                View this post on Instagram              
           
           
           
             
               
               
               
             
             
               
               
             
             
               
               
               
             
           
           
             
             
         

            A post shared by Tony Boey Johor Kaki (@johorkaki)          

       
     
         
  
Written by Tony Boey on 7 Sep 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published