Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

The Other 545 Whampoa Prawn Mee @ Whampoa Food Centre · 黃埔蝦麵

545_Whampoa_Prawn_Mee_黃埔蝦麵

Being a long time fan of 545 Whampoa Prawn Mee in Tekka Market, I had long wanted to try the same name prawn mee stall in 91 Whampoa Drive Food Centre. The two stalls are related - the Tekka stall is run by third generation owner Li Ruifang and the 91 Whampoa stall by her aunt (a second generation owner). 
While the Tekka stall has a high media profile, the Whampoa stall hardly gets a mention.

Stall name: 545 Whampoa Prawn Mee 黃埔蝦麵


Address: 91 Whampoa Drive, stall #01-39, Singapore 320091


Hours: 6:00am - 12:00 noon (Mon, Tues, Fri off)



Despite its low media profile, the Whampoa stall has a strong following. The queue at 545 Whampoa Prawn Mee this Wednesday morning was the longest at the hawker centre.

To queue or not to queue, that's my dilemma 🤔 

545_Whampoa_Prawn_Mee_黃埔蝦麵

Not really. Queues make it easy for me to decide 😄

If you know me, you know that queues attract, not deter me. I especially like the challenge of the extra long ones 😂

So yeah, I waited some 30 minutes and got this $5 dry noodle set.

545_Whampoa_Prawn_Mee_黃埔蝦麵

It was a huge mound of noodles, too much for me actually as I wanted to try a few stalls this morning. With the noodles were bean sprouts, lean pork slices and shelled, halved prawns topped with fried shallots and dusted with chili powder.

545_Whampoa_Prawn_Mee_黃埔蝦麵

I like it that at 545, they fry their own shallots and also their own pork lard (which ensures that everything is fresh and aromatic). 

545_Whampoa_Prawn_Mee_黃埔蝦麵

After tossing, the fat soft-tender noodles were well coated with robust spicy, tangy (ketchup), savoury, sweet, lardy tasting sauce. The fried shallot, lard croutons, and chili powder added their flavours to the noodles. If you have been following me, you will know I like my noodles to come with robust tasting sauces. This was pretty intense even though I didn't ask for anything extra.

545_Whampoa_Prawn_Mee_黃埔蝦麵

The fresh lean pork slices and prawns complemented the flavourful noodles well.

545_Whampoa_Prawn_Mee_黃埔蝦麵

The dark watery soup was savoury with pronounced taste of crustacean umami.

Perhaps my tastebuds are changing with age - I am feeling that I would really love the soupy version of this prawn mee.

545_Whampoa_Prawn_Noodle_黃埔蝦麵

If you are looking for old school Singapore style prawn mee, you can get a flavour packed one here at 91 Whampoa Drive Food Centre.

This is the other 545 Whampoa Prawn Mee at Tekka Market 👈 click

 


Written by Tony Boey on 5 Jan 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published