Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Hot Spot Cafe Fish Soup @ Burlington Square Beside Sim Lim Square

Was running errands at Sim Lim Square when I spotted this long queue while looking for lunch.

Stall name: Hot Spot Cafe Restaurant


Address: 175 Bencoolen St, Singapore 189649 (inside Burlington Square)


Nearest MRT: 5 minutes walk from Rochor station


Tel: 6334 2535


Hours: 11:00am - 4:00pm (Sat off)




Joined the queue to find out what it was about. It was fish soup. They have three versions - clear, with milk added and tom yam. The soup is served with various options of noodles, vermicelli or rice.

The queue took quite long to clear as it was long and many people tabao or take away half a dozen or more for the office 🙄

I got the "double fish" with rice (price $6.50).

Yeah.... I spilled a bit of piping hot soup 😬

It's a few pieces of fried dory fish with batter, a few slices of ikan batang fish, fried egg, and vegetables in a clear soup.

I opted for the clear soup as I didn't want evaporated milk in my fish soup.

Soup was cloudy, watery, savoury with a slightly tangy taste.

The ikan batang fish slices were with skin and fresh enough, I mean there was no off taste and texture was tender soft. I like it that it came with skin (I know some people prefer without skin).

There were more pieces of these dory fish with thick batter fried till golden brown. They were soft from soaking in the soup.

The dory fish meat inside was even softer. Dory fish doesn't have much flavour on its own, so the fried pieces tasted savoury from the batter and soup.

This fried egg seemed popular and one of the reasons this stall attracts a long queue (I think).

It has a nice tender soft crunchy texture and mainly savoury in flavour with a subtle bit of egginess.

I need to come back to try their popular tom yam fish soup and update this post.

Meanwhile, I think the clear fish soup is likeable and reasonably priced for the area.
                  


Written by 
Tony Boey on 17 Feb 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published