Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Review Wok Hei Fried Kway Teow @ Liang's Hokkien Prawn Noodle ● 260 Kim Keat Avenue

Char_Kway_Teow_Liang's_Hokkien_Prawn_Noodle_260_Kim_Keat_Avenue

Facebook buddy Robin had been telling me about Liang's fried kway teow in Toa Payoh since last year. But I forgot 🫢

Then, I bumped into him in JB and he reminded me about it 😬

Stall name: Liang's Fried Hokkien Noodles


Address: 260 Kim Keat Avenue, Singapore 310260 (stall inside Kim Keat Food & Drinks Centre)


Nearest MRT: 15 minutes walk from Toa Payoh station


Hours: 10:00am - 7:00pm (Weds off, Mon & Fri close at 2pm) 



So, here I am today at block 260 Kim Keat Avenue. It's a quiet, neighborhood coffeeshop like a kampung meeting place. Very laid back, spacious, cool, and drinks stall staff here are very friendly and helpful.

Ah Liang was having his brunch when I got here. I put in my order but told him to finish eating before frying. I am in no hurry.

Then, I went to the drinks stall to exchange my $50 note for smaller notes (didn't want to drink a coffee now as it would affect my tastebuds).

Lady boss was friendly and cheerful. "Come and support Ah Liang ah?" 

Told you it is a kampung here. The locals know everyone and notice the strangers that come in 😬

Watched Ah Liang through the doorway. He was serious about his craft even though business was slow.

Ordered the smallest $3.50 serving which was just the right size for me.

With the mound of noodles were lup cheong, fish cake slices, juvenile (small) cockles, bean sprouts and greens.

Before digging my chopsticks in, I can smell the toasty aroma of caramelised sauces. Nice smell of wok hei is always a good sign.

The noodles, there's kway teow and yellow noodles, were very tongue scathing hot. Good wok hei. Ah Liang knows his craft and applied himself seriously.

The kway teow tastes lardy, savoury, with slight spicy heat. I like it more than most fried kway teow places in Singapore but it is not in the same band as my favourite three - Hai Kee, Outram Park (Hong Lim) and Ang Mo Kio.

It's not the moist, slightly sweet type of Singapore fried kway teow. Alamak, my Singaporean tastebuds say this will be even better with a bit of sweetness 😬🤭

But, if you just want your fried kway teow to be lardy, savoury with good wok hei, Liang's is the one for you.

Come and support Ah Liang, towkay neo said 😊 Ah Liang is also well known for his Hokkien mee - shall try that next time.



Written by 
Tony Boey on 21 Feb 2023

3 comments:

  1. Yo Tony, is this the uncle Liang that needs to go for dialysis 3 times a week (that's why he closes at 2pm on those days). Respect his resilience, definitely worth supporting! His orh luak and fried hokkien mee are said to be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the same uncle Liang. You are right. He just do his work properly without fanfare. Please support if you can. Thank you. Tony.

      Delete
    2. I just tried his Hokkien mee today,it’s absolutely awesome. Full of smoky wokhei & umami,I will be back to try the fried kway teow!

      Delete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published