Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Huang Kee Wanton Noodles with Unique Sauce @ 266 Sengkang Compassvale Bow 黄记


I am hunting for food in Sengkang and buddy Jordan suggested Huang Kee 黄记 Wanton Mee at Compassvale Bow.

Stall name: Huang Kee Wanton Noodles  黄记


Address: 266 Compassvale Bow, Singapore 540266


Nearest MRT: 10 minutes walk from Buangkok station


Hours: 9:30am - 6:00pm



Sengkang is a high density public housing estate in Singapore's northeast.

There are several laid-back coffee shops frequented by people who live around it. The huge housing estate is divided into precincts and most have a coffee shop and retail shops nearby.

There's a trickle of customers at Huang Kee and the various food stalls here. All were selling familiar staples like Cantonese roasts, chup chai png (rice and various side dishes), fishball noodle, fish soup noodles, etc.

I got the $4.50 minimum size wanton mee set from Huang Kee. It is unique in that the "dry" noodle is served in a big bowl instead of the usual plate.

The egg noodles were splashed with a thick dark sauce and blanketed with thin char siew slices and blanched kai lan. Chili sauce is self service and I scooped in a couple of tablespoonfuls' worth 🤭

A quick toss coated the strands of slender noodles with the dark sauce and oil. The sauce was quite interesting - layers of savouriness, with a subtle bit of bright sweetness. (Tasted like a char siew type sauce but I didn't double check with the stallholders.) The chili sauce added their bit of savouriness and mild spicy heat. I like this sauce.

The egg noodles were generic (the norm in Singapore) and done a little soft for my liking. There's very little crunch.

The kai lan greens however provided the crunch and I enjoyed it.

The char siew was the lean and cooked (not roasted) type. It was tender and tasted savoury.

I like the wantons here. The soup was nice with pronounced anchovy taste and aroma. The pork dumplings were large, meaty, and tasted nicely gently savoury sweet. (They have deep fried wantons which I would love to try next time.)

This wanton mee is likeable but I don't think I will come all the way to Sengkang just for Huang Kee. However, I would be grateful and come here often for my comfort staples if I live nearby. It's a nice twist to the familiar wanton mee. Some say it is the best in Sengkang.
                  


Written by Tony Boey on 19 Apr 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published