Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Old Bugis Kway Chap since 1973 @ Kopitiam Square Sengkang Sq

Stalking the 20 odd stalls at Kopitiam Square at Sengkang Square, I decided to settle for Old Bugis Kway Chap. Kway chap and the images of old Bugis Street in my mind probably did me in 😬

Stall name: Old Bugis Kway Chap


Address: 10 Sengkang Square, Singapore 544829 (stall inside Kopitiam Square)


Nearest MRT: 10 minutes walk from Buangkok station


Hours: 7:00am - 1:00am 



There was just a trickle of customers at around 10am on this Tuesday morning. Selection was limited as the boss was still busy preparing food in the kitchen.

It didn't matter as I usually just have pig skin and intestine with my kway chap. (I'll also take pig tongue if they have but they don't.) I always skip the tau pok, tau kwa, tau ki, fish cake, eggs, preserved vegetables and other non pork stuff.

Price was $7 with 10% off, if you pay with the Kopitiam card or app.

The bowl of kway (flat broad rice sheets) was given a splash of brown savoury and Chinese five spice flavoured stock which was nice. The flavour of the stock was at just the right intensity for me.

The kway was slippery smooth, thin but done a bit firmer than I like.

The sprinkle of fried shallot dissolved in the stock adding an aromatic umami flavour to the stock as well as the kway.

The soft chewy intestines were well cleaned but had a subtle bit of bitterness along with savouriness and mild taste of Chinese five spice like star anise. If they have "big intestine head" I would like that but didn't see any.

I like the skin. It has the right firmness with a bit of tender spring, savouriness and mild Chinese spice flavour. If your idea of good braised pig skin is soft, then you probably won't like this.

If I want to eat kway chap and am in Sengkang, Old Bugis will come to my mind. It is pretty handy as the stall opens till 1am. I won't come to Sengkang specially for it though.



Written by Tony Boey on 25 Apr 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published