Saturday, 28 November 2015

Wanton Noodles 許记云吞面 Sri Tebrau Koon Chong Coffee Shop JK1315


In between errands today, I dropped by at 許记云吞面 in Taman Sri Tebrau for one of my favourite wantan mee stalls. 許记 is a humble coffee shop stall serving simple wanton mee, done very well.


I was glad to see Mr 許 busy at the stall. (許记云吞面 stall used to be at Xuan Hua kopitiam. 許记 has moved around the corner to Koon Chong kopitiam directly opposite Wisma Tionghua.)


We were glad to see each other again.


Both Mr 許 and wife grew up with wantan noodles. Mr 許 from Pontian, Johor and Mrs from Ipoh, Perak.

Actually, me too.


The thing about 許记's wantan mee is, it's the type of wantan mee I grew up with in 1960s Singapore. We lived in the eighth floor unit 378-G, Blk 65, Lor 5 Toa Payoh (now demolished) and our neighbour was a popular wantan mee seller. We kids used to have a lot of fun, taking turns to jump on the bouncy bamboo pole to knead the flour and egg dough to make the wantan mee. Yes, they used to make the noodles right there in their 1-room HDB rental flat.

許记's wantan mee reminds me of my neighbour's wantan noodles in flavour and mouth feel.


許记's tossing sauce is just right for me. I asked for chili in the sauce, and I got a well balanced blend of savoury, sweet and spicy aromatic sauce enveloping the noodles. A bit of lard gave 許记's noodles that porcine flavour.

And, the noodles were nicely soft al dente with a lovely mouth feel. Mr 許 still makes his own noodles, so it has that extra feel in the mouth not found in generic factory made noodles.


I think I got extra wantans ;-p


The clear pork broth was gentle on the palate and there is the anchovy flavour (of traditional wantan mee soup).


The wantons are just thumb sized but packed with flavour and texture. The skin is soft and smooth with the same mouth feel as the noodles. The minced pork is soft and there are little bits of cartilage in the mince which give the fillings a nice bite. I enjoyed these little details that makes 許记云吞面 different :-D


Crunchy green chili freshly pickled in clear vinegar.

Click on photo ^

Read about my first post on 許记云吞面 ^


Isn't it a blessing to be able to taste food that is the same as what we had as children?

->> Simple and nice traditional wantan noodles at humble coffee shop stall.

Restaurant name:  許记云吞面 stall in Koon Chong kopitiam
Address: Jalan Kelewang in Taman Sri Tebrau (opposite Wisma Tionghua)
GPS: 1.487101,103.769235
Hours: 7:00am to 2:00pm (closed on Weds)

Non Halal

Date visited: 6 Sep 2012, 27 Nov 2015

Which are your favourite wantan noodles, anywhere in the world?

Return to Johor Kaki homepage.


  1. noodles looked v decent n bouncy ! had wanton mee cravings aft seeing ur recent posts n had pontian wanton mee at imm ytd.. e broth is v nice also

  2. The homemade noodles are just perfect especially the texture and thickness - not too thick and not too thin. Wonton soup also tasted just right. Only problem I had was the BBQ. I think the BBQ Pork needs to have the burnt smell to make it perfect.

  3. Went for breakfast this morning. Boss was not around. Indonesian helper doing the cooking. Still fantastic. Noodle very qq/bouncy. Soup full of flavour.
    Will try boss cooking the next time

  4. Went for breakfast again today. Boss was cooking. No difference between worker and boss cooking. The worker are well trained.

    1. Glad you like this simple stall too :-D


I firmly believe that taste is subjective and so, warmly welcome differing viewpoints :-D But, I disapprove negative comments that are anonymous or hide behind fake identities. I feel that that is the same as speaking ill of others behind their backs. I look forward to all your comments :-D Thank you. (Date: 18 Dec 2015)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...