Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Depot Road Claypot Laksa 德普路砂煲叻沙

Depot-Road-Claypot-Laksa-德普路砂煲叻沙

I was at one of my old haunts, Alexandra Village Food Centre today. After circling the 100+ food stalls a few rounds, I noted that the stalls with the longest lunch time queues were the roasts stall, braised duck, and claypot laksa stalls.

Depot-Road-Claypot-Laksa-德普路砂煲叻沙

I was a regular at the roasts stall in the 80s and 90s. Since, I have not tried the braised duck and claypot laksa before, I opted for these today.

The braised duck was good though not really memorable as it felt little different from other such stalls. It was the Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei claypot laksa that left an impression on me.

Depot-Road-Claypot-Laksa-德普路砂煲叻沙

There were SGD4, 5, and 6 serving sizes. I opted for the smallest serving as I just had the braised duck (upsized with extra duck breast 😂). 

I like it that Depot Road laksa is served in a clay pot as it kept everything warm longer. The clay pot of laksa was topped with a splash of thick creamy laksa "spume" 叻沙頭 and a spoonful of aromatic finely chopped curry leaves. (I waited about 20 minutes for this during lunch time.)

Depot-Road-Claypot-Laksa-德普路砂煲叻沙

The laksa curry looked pale - it was thick and heavy with coconut milk. There was a very slight coconut oil aroma - the kind we get when we suck a coconut candy.

Depot-Road-Claypot-Laksa-德普路砂煲叻沙

The dominant flavour was mild sweetness, layers of it from coconut milk, fish cake slices, shredded chicken, thick rice noodles 粗米粉 etc. 

A bit of variety came from the taupok and tiny blood cockles (no bean sprouts nor fresh prawns). A little dried shrimp in the spices added subtle savoury notes to the basically sweet laksa. There was a nice mild underlying spicy kick that come late in the mouthful. (I eat raw chili, so my "mild" may be very spicy to others 😝 )  

I enjoyed this sweetish laksa curry because it tasted different from all my other favourites which pack a robust spicy kick and deeper spice flavours. Variety is the spice of life mah 😄

Depot-Road-Claypot-Laksa-德普路砂煲叻沙

You can add more spiciness with the sambal chili. It's heavy on saltiness and didn't taste fresh, so I didn't use it much as I don't want it to upset the original laksa's nice taste profile.


A post shared by Tony Johor Kaki (@johorkaki) on

👉 Depot Road claypot laksa is nice as it has its own unique style and sweet tasting profile. It's a mild, friendly laksa, especially good for introducing the dish to the uninitiated. I would have it again, if I am in the area.

Depot-Road-Claypot-Laksa-德普路砂煲叻沙Depot-Road-Claypot-Laksa-德普路砂煲叻沙Depot-Road-Claypot-Laksa-德普路砂煲叻沙

Restaurant name: Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Claypot Laksa 德普路真善美驰名砂煲叻沙
Address: 120 Bukit Merah Lane 1, #01-75 , Alexandra Village, Singapore 151120
GPS1°17'09.6"N 103°48'15.2"E | 1.285988, 103.804209
Tel9088 9203
Hours: 9:00am to 4:00pm (Sunday off)

Non Halal

Date visited: 25 Jul 2017

Return to Johor Kaki homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published