Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Adventurous Culinary Traveler's Blog with 65 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

618 Sim Carrot Cake Yishun Chai Tow Kway • Prawns Take the Cake

Buddy has been raving about 618 Sim fried carrot cake in Yishun. As our tastebuds are somewhat similar, I went down to Yishun to give it a try. 

Reached here at 7:30am but was told to wait one hour (I saw they were preparing a large takeaway order). 

They only have white version, no black, options available were for with or without prawn, and different size of serving. Minimum serving for their prawn carrot cake was SGD$6.

618 is a neighbourhood corner coffee shop at BLK 618 Yishun, about 10 minutes walk from Khatib MRT station. Hyperlocal, slightly dingy though the friendly kopi uncle diligently kept the tables clean. The air was filled with cigarette smoke smell from the smoking section.

The popular 618 fried Hokkien mee is at the same coffee shop. I have their story here 👈


Anyway, patience always pays. 

It wasn't not hard to pass the hour seated comfortably, writing, getting work done using my phone, waiting for the beeper to light up. 

It was a huge serving for SGD$6, for which I felt some remorse. It was enough for two guys. But, this was the smallest serving, if you want prawns. Smaller servings do not come with prawns. 

I opted for this to make my hour long wait worth it 🙄

Looking around, actually this size seemed to be the most popular order (and for good reason, I realised later). 

Soft snowy white chopped cai tow kueh (radish and rice cake) wrapped in soft eggs, with a gentle crisp chewiness from the browned outside.

The dish was punctuated by tender chopped prawn embedded in the eggs. 

They heaped a mound of chai poh at the side. The diced preserved radish was soft crunchy, gently savoury-salty, subtly tangy, sweet. 


I replied yes when lady boss asked if I like it spicy hot 要不要辣?

The chili paste came as a large dollop at the side. It was nice, umami savoury sweet with mild spicy heat yet has a subtle bit of zest.

The kueh was sweet, egg was eggy (duh), scallion aromatic - overall it leaned a little on the salty side, especially if you mix in the chai poh. A tad greasy but not with lard. Lady boss asked me whether I wanted parsley, I replied yes (it's one of my favourite aromatics) but there was none in my plate 🥺 Maybe a miscomm.

Personally I like eggs, and so prefer more eggy chai tow kway, like a sort of carrot cake omelette 🤭 My thoughts drift to Hup Huat at Hainanese Village in Hougang


Definitely can eat. 

Started to pour just as I finished my carrot cake. 


Stall name: 618 Sim Carrot Cake

Address: 618 Yishun Ring Road, Singapore 760618


Nearest MRT: 10 minutes walk from Khatib station


Hours: 6:30am - 1pm (Tues off)





Join 78K Johor Kaki followers
Written by Tony Boey on 14 Oct 2024

2 comments:

  1. The parsley is chopped and fried into the carrot cake 🤭. Subtle fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro, go try this stall at Circuit Road Morning Hawker. The daughter just took over. They steamed their own Kueh.

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published