I am on a personal project to document as many old Singapore hawker stalls as possible before they bow out of the Singapore hawker scene. Today, I am at Kwee Heng 贵興 Teochew Braised Duck at Newton Food Centre.
Kwee Heng still have braised pig ear, snout, head, etc., not so commonly seen in Singapore nowadays.
They have kway chap with braised pork offal, belly and skin as well.
They also have Cantonese staples roast pork belly, wanton noodle, and Hainanese chicken rice. So many dishes!
I guess Newton Food Centre, a popular tourist hotspot is not a place fans of Crazy Rich Asians come for traditional old school proletariat Teochew fare.
Anyway, I am here for Kwee Heng's braised duck noodle.
I feel contented and more than rich for the privilege to enjoy its nostalgic flavours.
I also felt old style warmth and sincerity. I requested for more duck breast and less noodle which the hawker gladly obliged. I expected to pay more for it but was only charged the normal SGD$7.
Hawker asked me to go back to my table and would bring me my noodles when ready. "I am not busy now" he said.
I appreciate his kindness but politely declined "you will be busy soon, take your break, I collect the noodle myself as usual" 🙏
Boss 孙 is the second generation owner. His dad and mom founded Kwee Heng in the 1960s, operating at Gluttons Square at Orchard Road.
Kwee Heng was one of the thirty plus stalls that moved from Orchard Road Gluttons Square to Newton Food Centre in the 1970s. 孙 joined his parents after his completing his full time National Service in 1975.
Yellow noodles and bean sprouts in a dark tea colour soup with thin slices of duck breast, dressed with coriander, fried garlic, and pork lard croutons.
The dark soup was savoury with porcine notes. The taste of aromatics and Chinese spices were barely discernible but were present.
The tender duck slices' natural duck sweetness combined well with the infused braising stock's savoury flavours.
So tender, moist, flavourful
Pork lard croutons added texture and porcine flavour to the duck soup. Duck and pork flavours blend and complemented each other well, elevating the taste.
The yellow noodles were done just right, tender and softly chewy. Picked up the savoury soup flavours well.
The chili sauce with sambal. Boss 孙 made this sauce and most things personally at the stall - a true blue hawker.
This is one of my favourite Teochew braised duck places in Singapore.
Written by Tony Boey on 25 Aug 2026


No comments:
Post a Comment
No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published