Got here before the lunch rush to avoid the queue.
Greedy me got the SGD$12.80 lower quarter cut.
Let's start with the chicken. It was poached and cold bathed (the Cantonese way).
Deboned, served with a light oil and soy sauce dressing.
The skin was very smooth, the meat very soft with a bit of gelatinous jelly fat.
Actually, it was almost too soft for me as I like to have a little bit of chewy bite in my poached chicken.
Chicken flavour was very subtle, hardly discernible.
I like the crunchy preserved Chinese mustard that came with the chicken. Crunchy, moist, sweet tangy. Appetising with the meaty dish.
Rice was tender, nutty, grains separate easily. Lightly greased and gently flavoured. Not much fragrance but still nice thanks to the texture.
I returned to my old habit of dousing the rice with savoury sweet sauce. Makes nice, more tasty.
It's actually one of the defining features of Singapore style Hainanese chicken popularised by the legendary Sweet Kee of Middle Road.
Both the spicy tangy chili and anaemic ginger sauce were watery.
The set came with a big bowl of chicken and cabbage soup enough for two.
If you like very soft and smooth chicken meat, then Tiong Bahru Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice is perfect for you. The rice is good too, nutty and gently flavoursome.
I rate Tiong Bahru Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice 6/10 with the Johor Kaki chicken rice rating system.
Written by Tony Boey on 29 Aug 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment
No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published