In recent years, spinach soup stalls have sprouted across Singapore hawker centres. It's not a traditional Singapore hawker dish but it looked well established, and mainstream now. Most hawker centres now have at least one spinach soup stall.
Among the most popular is Yuan Yang Spinach Soup 鸳鸯苋菜汤 at Geylang Bahru Market & Food Centre.
There were five options on the menu.
I chose #5 Signature Spinach Soup which had everything in, at a princely SGD$6.50. In Singapore, we are so blessed with good food (not processed fast food) that most people can afford 🙏
Chef prepares every bowl of soup a la minute on order.
Took a quick snap of my piping hot order straight off the stove. I am a pesky unker with his camera phone.
There were (going clockwise) mushroom, spinach, egg, meat ball, fish paste in tofu skin, prawn, taupok with fish paste, and grounded pork (bak chor).
Everything in this soup made cloudy by all the ingredients in the large bowl. The soup tasted savoury, umami, sweet with a slight egginess as well as green taste from the spinach.
Very agreeable, guilt free deliciousness.
I didn't order any carbs with my spinach soup (they offer various noodles and rice).
Instead, I paired the spinach soup with chili ban mian noodles from Hui Wei (stall #01-58).
The robustly savoury spicy ban mian paired very well with the mild savoury sweetness of the spinach soup.
Its a very filling, complete meal and I felt satiated the entire day afterwards.
SGD$5 + $6.50 = $11.50 is all I need at Geylang Bahru Market for a great, totally satisfying day.
Written by Tony Boey on 31 Aug 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment
No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published