Hui Wei Chilli Ban Mian was one of the stalls at Geylang Bahru Market with a long queue - the others were Yuan Yang Spinach Soup 鸳鸯苋菜 and Cheok Kee Braised Duck.
Eighteen different options....,
I picked the signature chilli ban mian #6.
For SGD$5, there was a generous amount of things in the large bowl. (There's a larger $7 version but my main purpose was to find out how the dish tastes.)
There were (clockwise) fried shallot, fried anchovies, runny egg, lard croutons, pork ball (factory made), handmade ban mian noodle, (bak chor) fried ground pork, and signature house made chilli sauce.
There was more than enough soy sauce, lard and ingredients to thoroughly coat every strand with robust flavours, with some more to spare.
The flat, thick pan mian noodles were on the soft side of tender (maybe because I took so long to take photos). Coated with sauce, the noodles tasted savoury, eggy, spicy, lardy in that order.
The friendly lady boss asked me if I wanted little, medium or extra spicy hot. I replied extra, and braced myself for it. This is KL style chili ban mian, right?
Turned out it was just moderately spicy hot for my palate.
Clear flavoursome soup with mild dongchoi (preserved cabbage) taste.
I enjoyed Hui Wei's chilli ban mian. It has the robust no holds barred savoury and spicy hot taste the dish is known for.
Read more 👉
Kin Kin Chilli Pan Mian in Chow Kit, Kuala Lumpur where the dish was created in 1985.
Follow me on Facebook & Instagram
Written by Tony Boey on 31 Aug 2026

One of my regular go tos!
ReplyDeleteToo bad their chili paste not for sale. If not will love to stock up a jar.😋
ReplyDelete