Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Asam Pedas @ Restoran Minha in Bandar Baru UDA, Tampoi, Johor Bahru



I asked my friend Amran who works in real estate where is his and his friends’ favourite lunch hangout. Without a moment's hesitation he enthusiastically recommended Restoran Minha whose speciality is their asam pedas fish. Amran added that most of his colleagues also lunch at Minha, and everyone around us nodded in agreement.

Amran asked me if I am alright with extra hot spicy food as Minha’s asam perdas is more pedas hot than asam sour. He also emphasised that Minha's fish are always super fresh. Minha’s fish supplier will personally call Minha’s boss when fresh stocks arrive and the boss will collect the fish.

Minha is in a shop lot just beside Selera Mahuri where Mat Corner nasi ambang is located. The no frills decor is basic. Just spanking clean, white top rectangular tables with plastic chairs arranged in neat straight rows, reminding me of a old style classroom.



I found the service at Minha very warm and friendly. Minha serves a range of nasi campur dishes but asam pedas fish is their speciality. On the day I was there, they had asam pedas catfish, ikan pari and ikan merah.


I chose asam pedas catfish. The fish was very fresh and sweet. The very friendly and smiley lady kindly cautioned me that this species of catfish is very bony with fine bones.

The light soupy gravy was a complex blend of flavours. It was spicy hot, sweet, sour and mildly salty. It is spicy hot with bits of grounded chili though not as hot as those in Batu Pahat - I personally prefer my food ultra spicy J  It is mildly sourish from the tamarind. The shreds of preserved cabbage kiam chye gave it a salty flavour.

The clientele obviously enjoyed their asam pedas meal and I did too.

My asam pedas catfish with steamed rice and a teh tarik came to RM10.

Restaurant name: Minha
Address: 8, Jalan Padi Mahsuri 12, Bandar Baru UDA, Tampoi, Johor Bahru
: 1.494907,103.718324
Hours: (closed on Sunday)
Halal

Date visited: 27 Mar 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published