Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Da Dong Prawn Noodles @ 354 Joo Chiat · Tastes Like Unfried Hokkien Mee 大東蝦麵

Da_Dong_Prawn_Noodles_Joo_Chiat_大東蝦麵

Da Dong in Joo Chiat is one of the highest profile traditional prawn noodle stalls in Singapore. Tried it for the first time today as I was in Joo Chiat to run an errand. I enjoyed it as I like its robust savoury umami soup.

Stall name: Da Dong Prawn Noodles 大東蝦麵


Address: 354 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore 427600


Hours: 7:30am - 2:00pm (Tues off)



Da_Dong_Prawn_Noodles_Joo_Chiat_大東蝦麵

I reached here at noon and there were six people ahead of me.

Da_Dong_Prawn_Noodles_Joo_Chiat_大東蝦麵

Took more than thirty minutes to reach the front of the queue as a few in front of me made many takeaway orders 🙄

By this time, some of the items were already sold out e.g. my favourite pig tails. Kway teow was also sold out - kway teow seemed to be popular here as I heard a few customers asking for it.

Da_Dong_Prawn_Noodles_Joo_Chiat_大東蝦麵

Trying a prawn mee stall for the first time, I always have this dilemma. I would struggle between dry or soup, dry or soup as I inch my way forward in the queue.

Then, I saw another customer's order of dry. The accompanying soup seemed a bit sparse 🤔 So, I opted for the soup version of prawn mee instead.

After ordering, customers were told to go back to their seats and the food will be delivered to their tables.

Da_Dong_Prawn_Noodles_Joo_Chiat_大東蝦麵

I got my $8 soup prawn mee at ten minutes to one i.e. fifty minutes wait 🤔

The mound of bee hoon, yellow mee and bean sprout was half submerged in the signature yellow-brown soup and dressed with prawn, strips of blanched pork, lard crouton, fried shallot, and kang kong greens.

Da_Dong_Prawn_Noodles_Joo_Chiat_大東蝦麵

First things first, their famous soup. It was full bodied, smooth, and had rich depth of savoury umami flavours from prawn and pork. There's a subtle underlying sweetness. Overall, it's nicely savoury umami sweet.

Da_Dong_Prawn_Noodles_Joo_Chiat_大東蝦麵

I like it that the prawns were very fresh and shelled, so it was all tender-crunchy meat. I dislike peeling prawns as I need to keep my hands dry for photo taking 😬

Da_Dong_Prawn_Noodles_Joo_Chiat_大東蝦麵

The bee hoon and mee tasted like good soupy savoury umami Singapore Hokkien mee - I meant it in a good way and to give you an accurate description.

I mean if I take this soup prawn noodle and reduce the soup to a sauce by simmering and stir frying, I think I will get wet Hokkien mee. If I stir fry till all the soup is infused into the bee hoon and mee, I believe I will get dry Hokkien mee. I just need squid and egg to complete the dish. You get the idea.

Da_Dong_Prawn_Noodles_Joo_Chiat_大東蝦麵

I am spoilt with overstimulated tastebuds. Even robust savoury umami sweet isn't enough kick anymore, so I threw in some chili padi to spice things up. I did not add soy sauce as I like the finely tuned taste profile of the soup - the dish just needed a bit of hot sting for my liking.

Da_Dong_Prawn_Noodles_Joo_Chiat_大東蝦麵

All reduced to nothingness. Yummy in my tummy.

Just as I finished my bowl of noodles, the stall was sold out and closed at 1:05pm.

                  


Written by Tony Boey on 14 Feb 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published