Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

JB Travel Tips from First Post-Covid Trip by Johor Kaki on 7 Apr 2022

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

I did a day trip to Johor Bahru yesterday, my first since returning from JB in Mar 2020. It was a sort of dry run before my longer trips soon. Sharing my experience here for your reference.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

About a week before departure, I downloaded the MySejahtera App which is like Singapore's TraceTogether App onto my handphone. I followed the instructions on the App and provided all the required information. I submitted my vaccination status documents as required and waited for the App to reflect my vaccinated status. 

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

As it was still not updated on the App on the day of departure, I brought along hardcopies of my vaccination certificates and also downloaded notarised versions of my vaccination certificates (which come with QR codes).

(Though not required for day trips via the Causeway) I had (annual plan) travel insurance with Covid coverage and checked that my passport had more than 6 months validity.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

Got up and headed out earlier than planned because I was excited about the trip. Took a bus to the Woodlands Train Checkpoint. Had slight anxiety as my vaccination status was still not updated on MySejahtera App.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

It was daybreak and already lots of people were at the Woodlands Train Checkpoint. Most were coming into Singapore.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

I walked to the departure hall. Clearance was a breeze. There were not many people and clearance using the automated lanes took just a minute.

Took the escalator down to the bus concourse. There were ushers directing us to waiting shuttle buses. The single trip to Johor Bahru CIQ costs SGD$2. Bring along the required cash.

The Causeway was clear with little traffic in both directions. When we arrived at the Johor Bahru side of the Causeway, Malaysian officers requested to see our MySejahtera App as we disembarked the bus. I explained that I had submitted my information but it was not yet reflected in the App. The cheerful lady officer waved me on saying "It is okay".

Took the escalator up to the arrival hall of the JB CIQ. There were few travellers this morning. The immigration officer inspected my passport as usual and gave me the required visa stamp (chop). I was not asked to show my MySejahtera App, ART or PCR - it was just like pre-Covid.

It took me less than 30 minutes to travel by bus and clear immigration at both the Singapore and Johor Bahru side.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

I took a short 10 minute slow walk to the Jalan Tan Hiok Nee area known as "Culture Street". There was a queue as I past Kam Long Curry Fish Head along Jalan Wong Ah Fook. Not quite its pre-Covid heyday yet but business was obviously picking up.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

The famous banana cake at Hiap Joo bakery. Most people wore their masks responsibly even outdoors.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

To enter shopping centres, banks and dining in at eateries etc., we were required to check in at the entrance by scanning the establishment's QR code using our MySejahtera App. One of the concerns I had was whether I need mobile data or WiFi to do so. I am not eager to use data roaming due to costs. I am glad that the MySejahtera check-in function actually works without data or Wifi. They also do not stop you from entering if your App shows Not Vaccinated status.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

Got my wanton mee fix from Kedai Kopi Xuu Yau just beside the famous Red House on Jalan Tan Hiok Nee. I love the feel of their tender crunchy egg noodles and tasty lardy "white" sauce. Their wantons were very good too - meaty, flavourful and aromatic.

Cooling my heels, nursing a Hainanese flat white kopi C kosong at Kin Wah coffee shop.


JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

Passed by one of my favourite Indian mutton soup stalls at Meldrum Walk on my way to City Square Mall. (Note the MySejahtera check-in QR code at the top right hand corner of the photo.) The new boss told me that there were 5 mutton soup stalls at Meldrum Walk before Covid. Now, only 3 are still in business.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

Walked around City Square Mall before going back to Singapore. Quieter than pre-Covid days partly also because today was a weekday (Thurs). Most of the popular restaurants in City Square Mall were in operation and business was picking up.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

City Square Mall was already dressed up for Hari Raya shopping.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

The journey home (was also a breeze). 

Before coming back to Singapore, go to the ICA website and fill up the SG Arrival Card with Health Declaration. It takes about a minute to fill. Once filled, you can use the automated clearance machines and will clear immigration in a jiffy minute. But, make sure to hit the "Confirm" button in the health declaration as otherwise your form is not submitted.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

Cleared immigration at the departure hall of the Johor Bahru CIQ, and took the escalator down to the bus concourse. There were a few shuttle buses lined up waiting for passengers to load up. I just joined the queue and got into a bus in about a minute. Fare was RM2. Bring along the required cash. Five minutes later, the bus was filled and we moved off. Arrived at the Singapore side in a couple of minutes as the Causeway was clear.

At the Singapore side, we were directed to a lift that took us in batches up to the arrival hall. Just go to any of the automated clearance machines, scan your passport and you are on your way. After clearing immigration, clear the usual customs check and X-ray scanning machines before you are back in Singapore.

JB_Travel_Tips_Post-Covid

Travelling between Singapore and Johor Bahru by bus and on foot is pretty hassle free now. This was just my personal experience and yours' may differ. I would love any insights from you too.

I will be taking a car trip to Johor soon and will share my experience on that after returning to Singapore.

Wish you a good trip. Stay safe and healthy.



Written by Tony Boey on 8 Apr 2022

17 comments:

  1. Ronald Quek said on Johor Kaki Facebook:

    "I made a similar drive trip last Tue. Was a pleasant trip - a breeze both ways. Just note the following :
    (1) MySejahtera app - must have. Vaccination status not mandatory but do your part to submit your pdf file (get from MOH website) for their online validation. Took 7 days for them to upload into my profile. Bring along a hard copy.
    (2) You will face a registration hurdle using the app - your Singapore address cannot be stated as Singapore - only Malaysian States are available on the drop-box. I selected Johor to clear this hurdle. Informed their ICA of the glitch, no reply to date.
    (3) TnG cards : check that they are not expired. If there are money balanced and not used >12 months, don’t fret. We tried 4 old cards, 3 cards still valid after top-up and tested intact with purchases. The other card may have malfunctioned.
    (4) SG Arrival card - mandatory before coming back. Online submission.
    (5) Malaysia Arrival Card. Don’t seem necessary under ‘Travellers’ section in the MySejahtera app.
    (6) At the JB ICA, they have staff to help you overcome any problems. Nice of them to anticipate issues.
    (7) Travel insurance - not mandatory for causeway clearance. Your own preference.
    I noticed the people there were just as disciplined as Singaporeans in wearing masks both indoor and outdoor. All service staff in shops and restaurants are wearing masks too. Covid-Safe as in Singapore."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balak BenLoh said on Johor Kaki Facebook:

    "JOHOR KAKI Blog the faster way to update your vaccine status is go to https://www.mysafetravel.gov.my/application

    The next day mysehjatera app will be reflected as fully vaccinated."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ronald, may I know the location where you topped up the T&G cards? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. go to any Caring Pharmacy...they will top up yr TNG card for free..

      Delete
  4. 洁洁 said on Johor Kaki Facebook:

    "Some places accept tracetogether too if myserjatera app is not working. Also good to download TNG ewallet, this is similar like paylah, top-up using credit card, can be used almost everywhere, petrol, shopping, massage, bars, eateries, so do not need to bring much cash inside."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm i cant upload my vaccination status in the app without submitting or buying insurance. Anyone facing same issue?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see you are back in action hitting the local eats, Tony..
    Pls check out the teochew kuey tiao soup stall previously located along Jalan Dato Suleiman..they used to have a bright yellow plastic awning with the menu written on it..

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published