Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Nepalese Food in Johor Bahru ● Review of Restoran Sunset Meadow

Looking for new options for lunch in downtown JB, I noticed Restoran Sunset Meadow just across Jalan Wong Ah Fook from JBCC Johor Bahru City Centre.

Restaurant name: Restoran Sunset Meadow


Address:  Jalan Wong Ah Fook, Bandar Johor Bahru, 80000


Tel: +607 222 3176


Hours: 11:00am - 8:00pm




I am curious but have neither been to Nepal nor tried Nepalese food anywhere before. So, Restoran Sunset Meadow is a good place to start.

The menu is quite extensive but despite English descriptions, I had little idea what they were. (I am starting from zero base.) The staff was very friendly and helpful, but the only way to find out is to taste it ourselves. He recommended momos but it looked like Chinese dumplings and I wanted something that would challenge my tastebuds a bit 😬 (in other words... yayah).

I ordered the Mutton Thali set for RM19 (used to RM13 before the pandemic, so inflation is quite serious in Johor too).

The set came with a mound of boiled white rice with a parade of side dishes in small heavy brass bowls, reminding me of Korean banchan.

Anyway, the restaurant was small and simply furnished. But it was bright, neat and very well kept. No dust, no grease, nor food bits or split sauces on the clean and dry tables. Love it.

Everyone here from staff to customers were all Nepalese. I am the only non Nepalese here as far as I could see. But, I feel the warmth and welcome. 

There's a huge mound of good quality steamed rice. Putting the papadum over it actually soften the fried cracker a bit, so I moved it aside to save some of its crispness.

The side dishes include lentil soup, curry mutton, mixed vegetables, green vegetable, pickle, salad, sour yogurt, and dessert.

The curry mutton was flavourful but very greasy. The mutton meat though tasted good with gaminess which I like, was chewy with lots of bones, some in bits and pieces.

Next time, I won't order mutton again but will try their curry chicken or pork.

Mixed vegetables cooked in spices till soft.

My favourite among the side dishes was this stir fried vegetable. It was crunchy, savoury with a nice bitter taste.

The sour yogurt.

Very sour and salty pickle. Couldn't finish this.

I like this thick chickpea soup.

A sweet fragrant spiced dessert.

The friendly staff comes around to top up your side dishes. I topped up my crunchy juicy fried greens twice 😁 Love it.


A simple, comforting meal at an affordable price. There's a lot for me to learn about Nepalese food, so I will be back to explore more as I like the atmosphere here and it is extremely accessible. Next time, I want to try dhido (instead of rice) for carbs, momos (dumplings), etc.

If you are looking for Nepalese food in Johor, you can check out Restoran Sunset Meadow in downtown JB.



Written by Tony Boey on 15 Mar 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published