Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Johor Kaki Adventurous Foodie Traveler with 75 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Hai Nan Zai Hokkien Mee, Oyster Omelette, Fried Kway Teow, Carrot Cake📍Chong Pang Hawker Centre 海南仔

At Chong Pang Hawker Centre's Hai Nan Chai stall, I found the type oyster omelette or orh chien which I like a lot.

It's not for everyone lah because I like it for its sweet potato starch 😀

Okay when I first got here, the stall assistant told me that orh chien was not ready. So, I settled for orh neng or oyster egg (sans the potato starch).

Turned out I like this orh neng or oyster egg.

It is what it is.

An egg omelette with plump oysters embedded in its moist, runny inside.

Eggy with very little grease, it tasted quite like those omelette at hotel breakfast egg stations.

Except for the succulent oysters, chopped raw garlic, and sweet crunchy bits of chai poh. (Both were not sauteed - I wish they were.)

I like the chili sauce too. Well balanced mildly savoury spicy which complemented the oyster and egg omelette well.

Cleaned plate. No grease.

After this orh neng, I was even more motivated to try Hai Nan Zai's orh chien, the one with the potato starch.

So I hung around Chong Pang Hawker Centre and waited. It was a very hot and crowded Sunday morning.

I am so glad I did.

I like orh chien with spongy chewy potato starch. I was quite sad when my favourite, Ah Chuan at Kim Keat Palm Hawker Centre closed a few years ago.

When I came around a second time at Hai Nan Zai stall, they were ready to serve orh chien.

Hai Nan Zai's orh chien - a huge serving for SGD$6.

I like it that Hai Nan Zai's orh chien has lots of this sweet potato starch which was like soft sticky molten mochi inside with slightly seared char outside which was subtly crisp.

The seared "sweet potato mochi" tasted savoury sweet with some infused flavours from the oyster and fish sauce.

They were generous with the oyster - I didn't count but there were at least half a dozen (remember I paid just SGD$6 for this).

The thumb size oysters were plump, juicy, and umami savoury partly from fish sauce.

Two plates of oyster omelette in two hours - I have gone mad.

This is now among my favourite orh chien / oyster omelette stalls in Singapore.

It's ironic I say this now, as a year ago when I came here and had their fried Hokkien mee, I didn't enjoy it at all and hence didn't write any article about Hai Nan Zai.

Today, I stole a photo of another customer's fried Hokkien mee. Maybe I should give it another try on another day.

Hai Nan Zai also have fried kway teow which actually looked pretty enticing 😅 But, I am not totally crazy yet, so will try it another day 🤪

Their fried carrot both black, white, as well as combo of black and white. Looks good too 😄
 
I shall be back for the fried oyster omelette (one of my favourites now) and the other fried dishes.

Hai_Nan_Zai_Hokkien_Mee_Oyster_Omelette_Fried_Kway_Teow_Chong_Pang_Hawker_Centre_海南仔

Stall name: Hai Nan Zai 海南仔 


Address: 105 Yishun Ring Rd, stall #01-129 Chong Pang Market and Food Centre, Singapore 760105


Nearest MRT: 15 minute walk from. Yishun station


Hours: 8:30am - 9pm



Read more 👉


Singapore


Follow me on Facebook & Instagram



Written by Tony Boey on 30 Aug 2026


1 comment:

  1. you can try their carrot cake too quite good

    ReplyDelete

No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published