Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food ยท Heritage ยท Culture ยท History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads ๐Ÿ“ง johorkaki@gmail.com

T.G. Fish Porridge @ Haig Road Hawker Centre. One of the Best Teochew Fish Soup I've Tasted

Teochew_Fish_Soup

I stumbled upon T.G. Fish Soup at Haig Road Food Centre using the most primitive way of food hunting. Stalk the hawker centre for stalls with the longest queues. In the Internet age, there are far more efficient ways to "hunt" for food but that would take away all the fun of a real food hunt ๐Ÿ˜„

Stall name: T.G Fish Porridge


Address: 14 Haig Rd, stall #01-50, Singapore 430014 (stall in Haig Road Market & Food Centre)


Hours: 8:00am - 3:00pm



Teochew_Fish_Soup

But, I know right? This is far from a fail safe method as taste is a very subjective thing and sometimes stalls sport long queues for reasons other than good food.

Teochew_Fish_Soup

I don't have a big calorie budget, so I usually peek at the ingredients first to see how fresh they are. Can't afford to waste calories ๐Ÿ˜‚

Fresh fish checked ✅ and I spotted a table of happy Teochew Ah Hia (i.e. middle aged buddies) who should know their Teochew fish soup having a fish soup party.

I joined the queue. I didn't time the wait but got irritated at one point as the wait was longer than expected. People in front were taking away large orders and the soup was cooked one pot at a time.

Teochew_Fish_Soup

Whatever I was feeling, it all melted away when I received this. This set of fish soup and rice costs $7.50 (2020 price). I asked for fish roe (I order that whenever it is available).

Teochew_Fish_Soup

In the light tea colour soup, there were generous amounts of thick slices of Ikan Batang fish (Spanish Mackerel) and fish roe together with pieces of lettuce, seaweed and bits of tee poh (dried sole fish). No tofu or tomatoes (but I do not miss them ๐Ÿ˜œ ). Those who know me personally know that I do not like sourish taste in my food one... .

Teochew_Fish_Soup

The soup is watery and light but far from bland. The basic gently savoury sweet fish soup was given additional layers of flavours from preserved vegetable, seaweed, tee poh and fried shallot. The fish add their own natural sweetness to the soup.

Bottomline is the soup was delicious ๐Ÿ˜‹

Teochew_Fish_Soup

I like it that the fish was sliced thick and with skin on. It was cooked to perfect doneness - it was tender (not soft, not flaky) and had a subtle fresh fish sweetness. Nice.

Teochew_Fish_Soup

The roe was soft with softer pops to the bite and tasted sweet with subtle eggy flavour.

Teochew_Fish_Soup

Bits of tee poh lifted the taste of the soup with savoury-umami.

Teochew_Fish_Soup

Not much to shout about here but... yeah.., this is how I like to eat my rice with fish soup ๐Ÿ˜„

Teochew_Fish_Soup

I like this fish soup. There is nothing for me to fault except perhaps for the waiting time. Fresh ingredients, expertly executed, delicious, competitive pricing. Yeah, I recommend T.G. Fish Porridge, if you are in the Geylang Serai area.

Hmmmm... I would say this is among the best Teochew fish soup that I have tasted.

Haig_Road_Hawker_Centre

Restaurant name: T.G. Fish Porridge ๆฝฎๆบ้ฑผ็ฒฅ

Address: 14 Haig Road, stall #01-50, Singapore 430014. Haig Road Market & Food Centre

Hours: 8:00am - 3:00pm

      
       
                     
             
             
               
               
             
           
           
           
                                                                                                                                                                         
           
             
                View this post on Instagram              
           
           
           
             
               
               
               
             
             
               
               
             
             
               
               
               
             
           
           
             
             
         

            A post shared by Tony Boey Johor Kaki (@johorkaki)          

       
     
         
 
Written by Tony Boey 17 Dec 2020 | Updated on 4 July 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published