Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Generation Coffee @ Tekka Centre. Hawker Stall Artisanal Espresso Brew

✍️ 20 Nov 2023. After 545 Whampoa Prawn Noodle, I popped over to Generation Coffee in the same hawker centre for my morning cuppa pick me up.

It's the best espresso machine coffee $1.70 can buy in Singapore. Blend of Robusta plus other beans, tastes robust with good caffeine kick. Aroma is slight, perhaps because I wasn't paying attention or wasn't fully awake 😴

Anyway, it was good enough to motivate me to sit up and write this update 😀

Went back to kaypoh kaypoh (busy body) after emptying my cup. There's always a queue at Generation Coffee.

These gentlemen are serious about their coffee and craft even though it is a hawker stall. No anyhow or bochup (couldn't care less attitude).

Another customer's latte.

This looks nicer than at so many supposedly atas (upmarket) cafes.

My preferred coffee port when I am at Tekka Centre. Over value for money good stuff.


Generation_Coffee

✍ 25 Dec 2020. Arrived too early for lunch appointment, so I went to stalk the hawker stalls at Tekka Centre. Stumbled upon Generation Coffee, a new kid on the block. They serve artisanal coffee with a shiny espresso machine which piqued my curiosity and so gave it a try.

Generation_Coffee

The beans, both Robusta and Arabica, are freshly roasted,  grounded and brewed at Generation Coffee. Kenneth and partners were formerly trading coffee beans and started Generation Coffee stall just a month ago.


Brewing coffee with an espresso machine in a hawker centre was pioneered by Kopi More at Golden Mile hawker centre in 2017. The trend has since caught on and espresso coffee has become more common in Singapore hawker centres, for example in Chinatown Complex Food Centre.

 
Generation_Coffee

Kenneth said the vision of Generation Coffee is to bring different generations together with coffee. So there is unker kopi (Nanyang coffee), trendy hipster coffee and kiddy blends like Babycino.

Generation_Coffee

I got myself a kopi C kosong - my usual. Generation Coffee serves a Robusta and Arabica blend for $1.60 which I feel is reasonable.

Generation_Coffee

The kopi has nice body from the blended brew and also the evaporated milk. I don't recall any aroma (I wasn't too attentive). The taste was bitter-sourish with sweetness from milk. Caffeine kick wasn't jolting.

A nice cuppa though not quite a titillating delight yet. Kenneth said that they will constantly experiment with different blends, so I feel this new coffee joint is promising. Worth a try - a better bet than random generic kopi stalls that often serve bitter ashy concoctions nowadays.

Generation_Coffee

Restaurant name: Generation Coffee
Address: Tekka Centre, Buffalo Road, stall #01-321 BLK 665, Singapore 210665
Tel: +65 8891 2911
Hours: 7:00am - 3:00pm (Mon off)



Date visited: 24 Dec 2020

1 comment:

  1. Note: GC said they also supplied Coffee More but anyway the mix is different.
    Currently I prefer the mix at coffee more but it is out of my way so I just drink at GC whenever I am at tekka

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published