Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Bukit Timah He Zhong Carrot Cake · Chai Tow Kway · My Favourite from the 1980s 合众菜头果

Bukit Timah_He_Zhong_Carrot_Cake_合众菜头果

When I come to Bukit Timah hawker centre, two stalls come to mind. One, the Teochew fish soup and second, the chai tow kueh (fried carrot cake). There's a chai tou kueh stall by a father and son team where I always ate and ta-bao (takeaway) in the 1980s. 

I don't know the name of the stall - in the old days, we just know our favourite stalls by location (is it just me? 😬 ). This was "Bukit Timah chai tow kway" but their actual name is He Zhong Carrot Cake (I found out today, 40 years later 😛 ). I was thrilled that the stall is still around today 😯

Stall name: He Zhong Carrot Cake 合众菜头果


Address: 51 Upper Bukit Timah Road, stall #02-185, Singapore 588215 (Bukit Timah Market & Food Centre)


Nearest MRT: 3 minutes walk from Beauty World station


Tel: 8498 9211


Hours: 6:00am - 8:00pm



Bukit Timah_He_Zhong_Carrot_Cake_合众菜头果

I recognised the stallholder. The stall is now run by the son Steven who is in his sixties (like me 😬 ). Steven said he has been frying chai tow kueh for 43 years. 

Bukit Timah_He_Zhong_Carrot_Cake_合众菜头果

Nothing much changed at He Zhong Carrot Cake except that stall has moved from the fringe (facing the carpark) to the inside. 

Bukit Timah_He_Zhong_Carrot_Cake_合众菜头果

They still make their own carrot cake from scratch at the stall 💪👍 Most other carrot cake hawkers today just buy their carrot cake from suppliers. 

Bukit Timah_He_Zhong_Carrot_Cake_合众菜头果

As I was on a food trail, I just ordered the smallest serving. There's quite a lot of carrot cake for $3 (not sure if Steven gave me a bit extra for old time sake). I couldn't contain my excitement when I realised Steven was the young man I met in the 1980s. He has 5 grandchildren now. I still
kosong (zero) 😬
Five kosong.

Bukit Timah_He_Zhong_Carrot_Cake_合众菜头果

The large chunky cubes of carrot cake were tender firm, quite dense, mildly savoury from fish sauce and a bit (not much) of crunchy 
cai poh (preserved turnip), with sweetness from radish and rice flour. There was some spiciness as I opted for it to be fried with a bit of chili paste which was smeared on top of the eggy slab like a spread.

Bukit Timah_He_Zhong_Carrot_Cake_合众菜头果

He Zhong's carrot cake weren't as light, soft and moist as the most popular ones in Singapore now. The beaten eggs, fried till crisp outside, moist inside, wrapped the cubes of carrot cake and enveloped them with a savoury eggy flavour. The fried dish wasn't overly oily at all.

Bukit Timah_He_Zhong_Carrot_Cake_合众菜头果

If you too are a fan of Bukit Timah carrot cake, He Zhong is still here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published