Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food ยท Heritage ยท Culture ยท History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads ๐Ÿ“ง johorkaki@gmail.com

Hussain Muslim Food @ Kovan 209. You Get a Whole Chicken Wing with their Soto Ayam

Hussain_Muslim_Food_Kovan_209

Stalking Kovan 209 hawker centre, I spotted a long queue at Hussain Muslim Food every time I am here. They have nasi lemak, soto, gado gado, mee siam, mee rebus, lontong, even nasi ambeng, etc. It will take me a few visits to try everything - they all look delicious. Trying their soto ayam today, I was very impressed ๐Ÿ˜‹ Here's why....

Stall name: Hussain Muslim Food


Address: 209 Hougang Street 21, stall #01-54, Singapore 530209 (Kovan 209 Market & Food Centre)


Nearest MRT: At the doorstep of Kovan station Exit C


Hours: 6:00am - 8:00pm



Hussain_Muslim_Food_Kovan_209

The queue at Hussain Muslim Food often snakes around the corner. The menu is on the signboard.

I noticed most of the food stalls at Kovan 209 are awarded "A" for Cleanliness & Food Hygiene by NEA (National Environment Agency) - bravo! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Hussain_Muslim_Food_Kovan_209

Running through the rather extensive menu in my mind like Russian roulette ๐Ÿ˜… as I inched my way to the front of the line, I opted for soto ayam (copy the lady just ahead of me ๐Ÿ˜› ).

Hussain_Muslim_Food_Kovan_209

The first thing that struck me was the whole chicken wing - I mean..., I have eaten some soto ayam in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia... . I was expecting a few slivers of hand pulled chicken meat but this must be the first time I had a whole chicken wing.

Certainly didn't expect it for a $3.00 serving in Singapore.

Mood good already, food will taste better ๐Ÿ˜„

Hussain_Muslim_Food_Kovan_209

First things first, taste the soup - the soul of soto, Indonesian chicken soup.

Without the sambal chili, the soup which has moderate body tasted sweet spicy savoury, in that order. Mix in the sambal chili, it tasted savoury sweet spicy with a fleeting hot sting coming in the aftertaste. Either way, it was nice - I like it.

Hussain_Muslim_Food_Kovan_209

I prefer my soto with ketupat (rice cake) than yellow mee or bee hoon.

I like it that at Hussain Muslim Food, I can taste and feel traces of tender-soft rice grains in their rice cake (unlike those generic ketupat made with rice flour).

Hussain_Muslim_Food_Kovan_209

Yeah..., I know many people don't like taugeh (bean sprout) but I love it. At Hussain Muslim Food, they are generous with taugeh and they are lightly blanched, so we can feel the crunchy bite and taste the sweet juices inside.

Hussain_Muslim_Food_Kovan_209

Oh... back to that chicken wing. It was tender and juicy, and slightly infused with spice flavour and aroma. There was also a subtle underlying chicky sweetness.

Hussain_Muslim_Food_Kovan_209

Yum!

Nuff said Leftovers don't lie ๐Ÿ˜‹


I will be back for nasi lemak, lontong, nasi ambeng and other things at Hussain Muslim Food.


Written by Tony Boey on 7 May 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published