Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food ยท Heritage ยท Culture ยท History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads ๐Ÿ“ง johorkaki@gmail.com

Pontian Mei Gui Yuan Sambal & Jia Xiang Noodles Online from The Alley Foods ๐Ÿ†˜ My Emergency Snack

The_Alley_Foods

I have a little secret. At home, I standby raw wanton mee which I blanch and toss in Pontian Mei Gui Yuan Sambal ็ฌจ็็Žซ็‘ฐๅ›ญ็ƒง้ฑผ่พฃ้…ฑ ๐ŸŒถ  It is always so deliciously, satisfying whenever I am hungry at odd times at home.

Sometimes, when I am day dreaming, I wonder if I should open a wanton mee stall using Pontian Mei Gui Yuan Sambal as my "secret weapon", hehe ๐Ÿคซ๐Ÿคญ  It beats quite a lot of wanton mee stalls out there, in my opinion ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜œ

The_Alley_Foods

I just buy random, generic raw wanton mee from the wet market stall or supermarket. Blanch it for 30 seconds, then toss it with 
Pontian Mei Gui Yuan Sambal and a splash of chicken stock (which I make by simply boiling chicken bones).

The generic supermarket wanton mee come up nicely done with lovely tender crunchy chewiness. The Pontian Mei Gui Yuan Sambal envelopes the noodles with nice savoury umami spiciness which I love. The gently savoury sweet chicken stock hold all the flavours together well and also make the noodles slurpy smooth.

The_Alley_Foods

I also enjoy
Pontian Mei Gui Yuan Sambal with Jia Xiang Mee Pok and Jia Xiang Wanton Mee from Pontian. I would blanch the noodles for 50 seconds rather than the 60 seconds specified in the instructions as I like my noodles to be stiffer and more crunchy.

The_Alley_Foods

The Jia Xiang noodles are denser, have better texture and nicer taste than the generic supermarket noodles but it comes at a premium price.

The Jia Xiang noodles come with five different sauces included - tomato, spicy tomato, oyster sauce, sambal and white oil. Among these, my favourite is oyster sauce which comes with layers of savoury umami flavours.

But, my preferred way to eat Jia Xiang noodles is with Pontian Mei Gui Yuan Sambal and home made chicken stock. The best of both worlds.

Give it a try and tell me whether I should start my own wanton mee stall ๐Ÿ˜„


Now, I can get Pontian Mei Gui Yuan Sambal in Singapore through The Alley Foods Facebook page and through thealleyfoods@gmail.com. Still not the ideal way to get my hands on this sauce but yeah, at least we could get it now in Singapore (while pandemic restrictions are in force).

Pontian Mei Gui Yuan Sambal - price $9 per 380gram bottle.

Jia Xiang Noodles - price $10 per 5 serving pack.

Delivery fee $8.
    
       
                     
             
             
               
               
             
           
           
           
                                                                                                                                                                         
           
             
                View this post on Instagram              
           
           
           
             
               
               
               
             
             
               
               
             
             
               
               
               
             
           
           
             
             
         

            A post shared by Tony Boey Johor Kaki (@johorkaki)          

       
     
         
  
Written by Tony Boey on 6 Nov 2021

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Other than email and Facebook, is there any other way to contact the company? (Eg. tel or their address and operating hr) I went to their Facebook and am interested to purchase some other products from them.

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published