Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Two Fishball Noodle Stalls @ Cheng San Hawker Centre • Song Kee 松记鱼圆面 vs Xiang Kee 香记粿條麵湯

Came early to stalk Cheng San Market & Cooked Food Centre. Song Kee and Xiang Kee fishball stalls both enjoy long queues. I like them both - they are more alike than different.

Stall name: Xiang Kee Yu Yuan Mian Tang 香记粿條麵湯


Address: 527 Ang Mo Kio Ave 10, stall #01-130, Singapore 560527 (stall inside Cheng San Market & Cooked Food Centre)


Nearest MRT: 10 minutes walk from Ang Mo Kio station


Hours: 8:00am - 7:00pm



I went for Xiang Kee Yu Yuan Mian Tang first. It's not yet 9am, and the queue was about 10 deep.

The stallholders and customers know each other well. A few customers enquired why Xiang Kee was closed last week - from their tone, I sensed there was genuine concern in their question. The stallholders repeated to each enquiring customer that there was a bereavement in the family. Xiang Kee obviously has a loyal following.

I ordered the smallest serving of $3. There was a good size mound of noodles (I chose mee pok) and five fishballs with lots of fierce (I mean robust) looking sauce and sambal.

They gave a lot of noodles for $3. I struggled a while if I should finish the noodles as I had an appointment with Aaron for Song Kee right after this 😬

I always like my noodles to come with robust flavours and this came with more than I wished for. It packed a big savoury salty tangy spicy lardy kick. Very old school.

The noodles were done just right for me for mee pok - soft tender with a subtle spring.

The fishballs were generic factory made but tasted and felt alright. Tender with a slight savoury taste. Unremarkable but still can (the way Singaporeans say acceptable).

Finished it anyway. Comforting, quite tasty, filling for $3.

Aaron went to queue for Song Kee Fishball. Queue was also about 10 deep.

Stall name: Song Kee Fish Ball Noodle 松记鱼圆面


Address: 527 Ang Mo Kio Ave 10, stall #01-123, Singapore 560527 (stall inside Cheng San Market & Cooked Food Centre)


Nearest MRT: 10 minutes walk from Ang Mo Kio station


Hours: 4:30am - 1:00pm (Mon off)



This for $4 (the minimum serving size).

Mound of noodles, five fishballs and a piece of fish filled tau pok (yong tau foo style). No signature fish dumpling as they were sold out (we were there at 9:30am).

The tender springy noodles were smothered in robust savoury, lardy, spicy, tangy sauce. Not as strong tasting as Xiang Kee but closer to my preference (though if tuned down a bit more, it will be perfect for me).

Song Kee's fishballs were also mass produced but softer, more juicy and had slightly more savoury flavours. It's a better fishball than Xiang Kee's in my opinion.

Then, there's one fishball in the bowl with better (firmer) texture and savoury flavour, probably made with a different fish meat.

Wait, there's more. The usual spongy tau pok with fish meat filling (a signature of Song Kee related stalls).

Song Kee's version suits me a little better as its sauce is less robust tasting, though still has strong flavours. The generic mass produced ingredients (fishball) were slightly better quality. Well worth the extra $1 for the small serving.

But, if you prefer no holds barred lardy, savoury, tangy, spicy sauce, then Xiang Kee is the one for you. I would happily go for either or both as I like Xiang Kee's homely, comforting feel.

There are nine kopi stalls here at Cheng San 😮 Aaron recommends Everyday Tea Stall #01-128.

I got my kopi C kosong gao for $1.10. Full body and full flavour. Gao lak (strong 💪).

This old market and food centre is busy in the morning with lots of residents doing their marketing and having breakfast here. There are lots of interesting looking stalls with good following. I will be back to find more goodie foodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published