Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Amazing Yong Tau Foo @ Tong Yuen Coffee Shop, Taman Perling 东圆 • 新山柏伶花園

Last month (Oct 2022), while on 958FM Live broadcast comparing prawn mee in Singapore and Johor, a listener commented that Taman Perling (JB) has a very good prawn mee. She didn't provide the address, so I tried to find it by driving around Taman Perling. Then, I spotted a busy corner coffee shop at Jalan Simbang. Quickly parked the car to investigate - there were a couple of stalls. Almost everyone was having yong tau foo. So, I decided to give it a try i.e. changed target from prawn to tofu (Tony always like that one 😬 🤭 ).

Stall name: Yong Tau Foo (stall inside Tong Yuen coffee shop) 


Address: 314, Jalan Simbang, Taman Perling, 81200 Johor Bahru


Hours: 7:00am - 1:00pm (Tues off)




Around 8am, action at the yong tau foo stall was frenetic. The protocol is to pick your choice of YTF pieces, say how you want it done to the staff (dry, soup, curry), and return to your table to wait for the food to be delivered to you. Payment is collected on delivery.

Most were fried pieces and all were freshly fried. Business was brisk and the pieces fly off the trays as soon as they leave the wok of hot oil.

After picking my yong tau foo, I went to look for a seat. Here, the custom is to share table and there is no need to chope.

I randomly picked whatever that caught my eye and had them served with soup. So they were my usuals of chili, bitter gourd, fried tofu, tofu, and meat roll.

The yong tau foo pieces were marvellous. My favourite among those stalls that I tried so far recently in Singapore and Johor. Despite soaking in the soup, the freshly fried well browned YTF pieces had a residual soft crispness outside. Nice.

I can taste the sweet freshness in everything - the vegetables, bean curd, and generous minced pork filling.

I can taste the sweet freshness of the pork with a subtle bit of umami from tee poh, which is great. (I prefer the finer umami taste of tee poh than salted fish which is more commonly used in pork filling for yong tau foo.)

For carbs, I had slender egg noodles. I like the springy crunch of the noodles but felt the savoury sauce was a little flat and mild.

I like their sambal as their hae bee (dried shrimp) taste is strong but balanced by a bit of sweetness and spiciness.

Overall, I am very pleased with the yong tau foo. Over the moon actually with this unexpected find.

After my meal, I went kaypoh kaypoh (busy body) around the busy coffee shop, to see what others were eating and to get ready for my repeat visit 😬 Don't be like Tony 😛

They have a curry version, so swee lah (that's great). Must try next time.

They have fried yam rolls. Something new to me and I want to try this next time (I'll be back for sure).

They have blanched minced pork (bak chor) which would make the noodles taste better. I shall ask for this next time.

Many locals like to come here for their kopi (coffee).

The Nanyang coffee here is robust tasting with a strong caffeine kick.

So glad to stumble upon Tong Yuen yong tau foo stall today. How not to be back? 😬

If you are a yong tau foo fan, you can check out Tong Yuen in Taman Perling.



Written by Tony Boey on 2 Nov 2022

🎗 Opinions in this blog are all my own as no restaurant or stall paid money to be featured



1 comment:

  1. Thank you johorkaki for this recommendation. I'm a fan of nice yong tau foo. Some YTF stalls serve their food with a type of sweet sauce(dark red in colour), but i did not see them in the above pictures. Mind sharing whether does this stall serve sweet sauce ? I like this sweet sauce as a dip and to drench my bowl of dried beehoon 😄

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published