Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Lai Hiang Pork Rib Prawn Noodle • People's Fav @ Pek Kio Hawker Centre 来香肉骨虾面

Going by the daily constant queue, Lai Hiang Pork Rib and Prawn Noodle is the undisputed king of prawn mee at Pek Kio Hawker Centre now 👑

Stall name: Lai Hiang Pork Rib Prawn Mee  来香肉骨虾面


Address: 41A Cambridge Rd, stall #01-41, Singapore 211041 (stall inside Pek Kio Market & Food Centre)


Nearest MRT: 10 minutes walk from Farrer Park station


Hours: 6:00am - 2:00pm (Tues & Fri off)




The first time I ate at Lai Hiang was a couple of years ago and the queue wasn't this long 🤔


They have $2.50, $3, and $5 servings. I decided to indulge in the largest serving with pork trotter. I told lady boss that I wanted trotter after seeing other customers have it.

Lady boss though very busy, was polite and friendly. I changed my order from mee pok to yellow mee, and lady boss gladly obliged cheerfully ☺️ No scolding or telling off 😬

The big mound of yellow mee with sauce was almost smothered with prawn, fish cake slices and pig skin. There was a sprinkle of aromatic housemade fried shallot which I appreciate (I dislike flavourless factory fried shallot).

At first, I hesitated about ordering the $5 portion fearing too much carbs. Turned out that it was just nice for me. There was just enough sambal type sauce to coat the spongy tender strands. The sauce was mildly umami savoury spicy with a slightly hot sting at the end.
 

Prawns were fresh and peeled which I like. They were nice - soft crunchy and subtly sweet.

Soup was watery with mild sweet savouriness and trailing crustacean umami taste. It's not those robust full bodied ultra umami soups which are the rage nowadays, especially among the younger crowd. This was actually sweet leaning though I can still taste the crustacean umami of prawn shells.

The trotters were porcine sweet. It's meat, fat, tendons and skin all soft and tender in different ways giving it very interesting mouthfeel.

The soft pork skin with a slight sweetness was nice.

Finished everything and to the last drop of soup 😋 Top choice of prawn mee for folks who live around Pek Kio.

The famous extra spicy wanton mee at Pek Kio 👈 click


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published