Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Ng Soon Kee Fish & Duck Porridge for the Soul @ Geylang East Hawker Centre 黄順記魚糜・鴨糜

I had this unique tasty duck porridge a few years back and always wanted to come back for it. Finally, made it today because I needed to come here for a medical appointment at Geylang East Polyclinic next door.

Stall name: Ng Soon Kee Fish & Duck Porridge 黄順記魚糜・鴨糜


Address: 117 Aljunied Ave 2, stall #01-11, Singapore 380117 (Geylang East Hawker Centre)


Nearest MRT: 10 minutes walk from Paya Lebar station


Tel: 6747 6014


Hours: 11:30am - 6:00pm (Mon & Tues off)



The queue was long but I joined it anyway as I had set aside time to explore Geylang East Hawker Centre which I rarely come to. But, the wait was longer than expected as several customers took away many bags of food 🙄

Boss was friendly and polite, thanking every customer for their patience and support.

They have five serving sizes 😮 From $3, $5, $8, $10 to $15. As I already had a wanton mee just before this, I opted for the $5.

I was surprised by the generous serving size.

It was rice submerged in a dark soup with cubes of duck floating on top together with coriander garnish. The rich deep dark colour made me can't wait to dive in.

The soup with visible grease on the surface tasted mildly savoury sweet.

The porridge was Teochew style with partially broken grains in the soup. The tender grains were browned, gently sweet and infused with a slight savouriness from the dark soup.

The braised duck meat was tender but not juicy. It lacked duck gaminess or sweetness. While I missed it, the absence of ducky taste is appealing for many people. I saw a lady walked up to the boss after her meal, gave uncle a vigorous thumbs up, and uttered "very delicious!" in Teochew while flashing a wide grin 👍

A comforting, affordable, traditional meal. Not mind blowing but it will keep me coming back for the feel of humble home cooked sincerity and warmth.

Next time, I shall also go for their popular sliced fish soup.

I finished everything.

Pro tip: Avoid peak hours if you can.
    



👆Ask Tony where to eat in Johor & Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published