Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Adventurous Culinary Traveler's Blog with 65 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

13 Units Hong Kong Cafe in Danga Utama Johor Bahru 十三幺港式茶記


You know... sometimes I get bored with Nanyang kopi and toast breakfasts. Other times I am bored with the ubiquitous cookie cutter Arabica coffee and cake cafés. So, I am glad buddies brought me to 13 Units, a Hong Kong cha chaan teng style cafe.

13 Units is actually a pretty cheery place. A good place to chill. I feel happy the moment I stepped in - must be the decor and vibes from the friendly staff. My favourite Canto music put me in a warm nostalgic mood too. 

By the way, I am an old Cantonese Ah Seng. 

Thirteen Units has two of my favourite things in a cha chaan teng. Number one is milk tea. 

Thirteen Units' milk tea was nice. It looked cheerfully golden yellow, had a smooth round body, just the right sweetness and tea taste, though not as much tea fragrance as I like. I enjoyed it. 

I use this little cha chaan teng in Scarborough, Canada as my benchmark. 

The second must have thing for me at Hong Kong cha chaan teng is bolo bun, literally pineapple bun because of the shape and colour. 

I love the happy golden yellow colour of Thirteen Units' freshly baked bolo bun. I can smell the butter before my first bite. That's great! 

As I am a butter lover, I love that generous thick slab of butter they put between the thick halves of the bolo bun. 

My teeth marks 🤭

Oh.... this is so comforting and delicious. The bolo bun had a light crispy outside and spongy soft fluffy puffy inside. Bite pass the pillowy bun and your teeth meets the soft buttery melt-in-your-mouth slab inside. Flavours were sweet buttery with a bit of caramelised sugar taste and smell. Ah... I crave for it as I wrote this 😂

I am 64, seen this at night markets and shopping malls countless times but trying 雞蛋仔 Hong Kong egg waffle for the first time today 🤭

I always wondered what's inside the egg 🫢

Anyway it was mostly soft spongy inside with a slight crisp outside. Sweet flavours but not overwhelming. It's a nice nibble to go with milk tea or walk around with in the mall or night market. 

Of course, they have the staple cha chaan teng egg tarts too. 

Just mildly eggy sweet in a slightly dense firmer custard in a layered crisp flaky cup.

Shirley's cold milk tea comes with a free collectible mini mahjong tile. 

13_Units_Hong_Kong_Cafe_Danga_Utama_Johor_Bahru_十三幺港式茶記

Thirteen Units have a wide range of savoury staples like this quintessentially Cantonese char siew rice which we will come back for next time! 

Chee cheong fun with a peanut sauce and sesame oil blend. 

There are other dishes like pork chop, wanton noodles, HK style French toast (why didn't we order this?! 😮 ), which I need to come back for.

A cool place to chill out between meals and shopping 😁


13_Units_Hong_Kong_Cafe_Danga_Utama_Johor_Bahru_十三幺港式茶記

Restaurant name: Danga Utama - 13Units Hong Kong Cafe 十三幺港式茶記 

Address: 60G, Jln Pertama 1, Pusat Perdagangan Danga Utama, 81300 Johor Bahru


Tel: +6010 255 9332


Hours: 9am - 10pm





Join 78K Johor Kaki followers


Written by Tony Boey on 29 July 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published