Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Johor Kaki Adventurous Foodie Traveler with 75 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Koh Brother Pig's Organ Soup 📍 Tiong Bahru Market 許兄弟豬什湯


Actually, I was not a big fan of pork organ soup even though I am an unker 🤣

I am very familiar with the dish because I used to have pork organ soup quite often in the 1980s as some of my former colleagues loved the stall at Commonwealth Crescent Market. Personally, I remember that it was flat salty for my palate.

Pig organ soup stalls used to be more common in Singapore but the numbers have dwindled over the decades. Actually, it's another Singapore hawker dish in danger of going extinct (but that'll be the story for another article).

Anyway, today I had another go at the dish after nearly 40 years (of self imposed abstention) at the famous Koh Brother Pig's Organ Soup at Tiong Bahru Market 許兄弟豬什湯.

This stall founded in the 1950s is in the third generation now and still has a loyal following.

They have SGD$5, $7, $9 servings, so I asked what is the difference between them.

I was very politely told that they all have the same ingredients, just different size servings.

So I opted for the smallest $5 serving as my main aim was to taste test the dish.

First things first, the soup.


One sip and I was mind blown.

It wasn't the flat salty I remembered but clean tasting porcine sweet layered with tangy salty from kiam chye (preserved Chinese mustard). There was little, if any oil at all floating on the soup. So I drank it all up with no fear or guilt.

Love it 😋

SGD$5 it has everything.

Clockwise from top - large intestine, stomach, pork ball, preserved Chinese mustard, pig heart, liver, large intestine (different cut), lean meat slice.

The thing that impresses me was how clean tasting the large intestine was without losing all its natural porcine sweetness. It was pillowy spongy soft and gently sweet. Not even the slightest hint of off taste. So nice.

Soft pig stomach cut into ribbons.

Soft tender pork ball with savoury sweet seasoning.

Tissue thin kiam chye which had already given up most of its tangy salty flavours to the soup.

Lean but tender strips of pig heart.

Thin liver slices skilfully done, cooked through yet soft tender powdery to the bite.

Another section or cut of intestine. Nicely soft tender. But for intestine, my favourites are the fattier cuts.

Good quality fresh lean pork.

The chili sauce was salty spicy sour which was good for cutting through the organ meat. For me, I don't use the chili much as I like to discern the subtle sweet flavours of the fresh organ meat.

They say you don't have to taste the whole ocean to know that the sea is salty. Now after this taste of Koh Brother pig's organ soup, I am craving for the large servings 😄 I am now a Koh Brother's fan and more unker than ever 🤣

Koh_Brother_Pig_Organ_Soup_Tiong_Bahru_Market_許兄弟豬什湯

Stall name: Koh Brother Pig's Organ Soup 許兄弟豬什湯 


Address: Tiong Bahru Market, stall #02-29, Seng Poh Rd, S168898


Nearest MRT: 10 minute walk from Havelock station


Hours: 9:30 am - 2 pm | 5pm - 7:30 pm (Sun closed at 2pm, Mon off)



Read more 👉


Singapore


Follow me on Facebook & Instagram



Written by Tony Boey on 5 Sep 2026


No comments:

Post a Comment

No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published