Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Johor Kaki Adventurous Foodie Traveler with 77 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Michelin Recommended Unforgettable Carrot Cake Lontong Goreng📍 Bukit Merah View 忘不了萝卜糕 ☎ 93252500


I was roaming around Bukit Merah View food centre, trying to burn some calories after a nice pork curry at Na Na Homemade Curry. I wanted to clear my tummy space for Na Na's mutton curry next 🤭

Then I saw this.

Stallholder was hand pressing carrot cake through a wire mesh to break it into smaller pieces.

Artisanal hawkers always stop me in my tracks since I was a child. That curiosity hasn't changed.

I struggled a bit.

If I eat this, what happens to the mutton curry I was planning to try? 🤔


Anyway, I gave in to the temptation 🙄

Ordered the smallest serving to try. They have a choice of black or white - I chose the white. SGD4.50 with two eggs.

A lot of food!

For over sixty years, this carrot cake stall has been serving the community with affordable meals.

There were pieces with browned crust outside. The chunky kway (cake) inside was soft tender while the browned crust was tender firm, slightly chewy. Interesting texture. 

I like how the kway was hand pressed into chunky pieces. The kway is reputedly made with milled rice instead of rice flour. In the past, the rice was milled at the stall but now it is purchased from a rice miller. 

I did feel a subtle graininess in the smooth kway which I like.

Savoury salty and a bit toasty on the caramelised outside crust. The kway was somewhat flat subtly sweet savoury tasting.

I eat eggs for their protein.

But, not much eggy flavour in the egg through.

I missed the fish sauce which would have given the kway an umami savoury flavour overlaying its very mild sweetness. Unforgettable Carrot Cake fry their kway with a vegetable oil, so lard worshippers may feel their absence (me included).

The raw scallion provided a bit of fragrance and green aromatics taste. There was no chye poh or garlic taste (as far as I could tell from my serving).

The Malay name Lontong Goreng or fried rice cake (on the signboard) could actually be a more accurate description of the dish at Unforgettable Carrot Cake stall. The kway is reputedly made with milled rice and there was no carrot or radish (daikon) in the dish (as far as I could taste).

You know what? After eating this carrot cake, I went on to eat Na Na's mutton curry 🤭

I would be coming back for the black carrot cake 😄

Michelin_Recommended_Unforgettable_Carrot_Cake_Lontong_Goreng_Bukit_Merah_View_忘不了萝卜糕

Stall name: 
Unforgettable Carrot Cake 忘不了萝卜糕


Address: 115 Bukit Merah View, stall #01-30, Singapore 115115 (Bukit Merah View Market & Food Centre)


Nearest MRT: 15 minute walk from Tiong Bahru station


Tel: 93252500


Hours: 6am - 2pm




Written by Tony Boey on 22 Sep 2026


No comments:

Post a Comment

No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published