Second time having lunch at Tien Lai Rice Stall - it is actually a roasts stall serving roast pork belly (sio bak or siew yok), char siew, and roast duck eaten with rice.
Joined the queue before 11am when it was still not very long 🤣
I opted for just char siew and roast duck sans rice. Sio bak have to wait another time. This char siew and roast duck combo for SGD$12.
I asked for the fatty cut for char siew 半肥瘦.
The look excited me as it reminded be of the legendary Char Siew Yoong of Pudu Ulu, Kuala Lumpur. Tien Lai also came highly recommended, by the Singapore Michelin guide no less.
Tien Lai's char siew was quite tender, its marinate was mildly sweet and the meat had very little porcine sweetness. Taste of caramelisation was limited.
I like my char siew sweeter, with a smokey savoury caramelisation taste and still able to taste the pork's natural sweetness.
The roast duck was served deboned.
The red-brown glistening skin was soft with a slight crisp. The meat was tender though neither fatty nor juicy (I like them with juice dribbling down my fingers). No duck gamey taste (I like some) and spice seasoning flavours was mild (I like it more robust).
Did my due diligence to make sure I understand the taste of Tien Lai's char siew and roast duck. Shall come back for the roast pork belly.
By the time I finished my food, the queue had grown to about ten deep.
Please share your experience at Tien Lai Rice Stall.
Written by Tony Boey on 7 Sep 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment
No censorship. All comments with genuine identities are published